cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
metalshark
Community Member

When will Stadia Controllers support apostrophes in wireless PSKs?

Worked with the Stadia Twitter account and determined/tested the reason the controller won’t connect to WiFi, but the Chromecast and every other device can is the use of apostrophes in the PSK. That was over 5 weeks ago. Still no update. Does anyone know when this will be remedied and how to pause your pro subscription as my Stadia account has been unused for 5 weeks as a result.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Mad_Dog_Bravo Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@metalshark : In the grand scheme of things, would it not be easier to just change the PSK?  Not an ideal solution, but a workaround all the same.

I don't believe that pausing the subscription is an option, certainly nothing that has been discussed before or gets referenced in the legal notices for the subscription.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
codesplice Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@metalshark I've got to agree with @Mad_Dog_Bravo here. The WPA PSK spec does permit using any ASCII character in the passphrase but it sounds like that isn't working in Stadia's implementation, for whatever reason.

I'd suggest using the in-app Send Feedback option to report this issue to the development team so that they can hopefully fix this in the future but it would make sense to go ahead and change your passphrase to work around this problem in the meantime. Like MDB said, I don't think Google is likely to allow you to pause/suspend your subscription until this gets sorted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
metalshark
Community Member

I’ve used the Feedback feature and communicated with them on Twitter (where they asked me to do all the fault finding for them!?!), as well as raising on the Discord. Due to the speed of creating an alphanumeric rainbow table for WPA2 PSKs, am not lowering my security so the controller can work when every other device in the house follows the spec. Plus this is a great indication of how much support to expect out of Google for Stadia going forward.

D0875A76-870B-4B60-B3B6-7D2E9FAFB27E.jpegHere’s the conversation from over a month ago showing them asking me to do the fault finding for them. Now when asking for updates on them fixing it (remembering Chromebooks, Chromecasta, Nest devices, Android and Google Home devices do not have this issue) I just get two emojis. Someone writing and two hands together like a prayer. ✍️ 🙏 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DeficientNode
Community Member

Why let your subscription go to waste when you can also play it on a Chrome browser and a Pixel phone if you have one.

Besides, having a special character in your passphrase hardly makes it "higher" security. I'm not sure where you live but if people are constantly trying to hack into your wifi, you need something better than WPA2-PSK.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
metalshark
Community Member

No pixel phone (or Android to use the sigmaxpi app) and at home have a gaming PC.

Having special characters in your passphrase (as opposed to just alphanumerics) means that creating rainbow tables for your SSID takes a lot longer.

Hopefully Google actually take supporting the product seriously, not going to hold my breath though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
metalshark
Community Member

Whichever mod thought that ignoring the bug was an acceptable solution, please consider actually getting the issue fixed instead.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
zelenev
Community Member

@codesplice I disagree. Non-alphanumeric characters significantly increase brute force crack complexity and rainbow table size for cracking WPA2. Of course the ideal approach is using WPA3 across the board, but since a lot of legacy devices do not support WPA3, even when the access point supports WPA3, it is usually configured to run in WPA2/WPA3 compatibility mode. Password complexity is the only obstacle to quickly cracking WPA2. WPA2 is cracked. It's insecure. Password/SSID name complexity is the only thing that is keeping WPA2 from following the fate of WEP. Suggestion to downgrade security to be able to play games online cannot be taken seriously in this day of age. The overall 802.11 stack on Stadia controller seems broken and buggy. According to standards, unsupported protocol features should be ignored by incompatible clients, and yet, if you enable 802.11v on SSID, as recommended by many vendors included Apple, it completely prevents the Stadia Controller from joining SSID.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Bjerre
Community Member

I might be ignorant, but why can't you just stop using the special characters and instead add a few extra regular characters. Isn't it mostly the length of the passphrase that'll add to the complexity? Honest question...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
zelenev
Community Member

You can, but only up to 63 characters. Once your passwords are 63 characters long (for WPA2), you can only add complexity by increasing the range of characters. Length is indeed more important, but WPA2 has a limited password length. Working with devices like Nest thermostat that do not offer copy/paste or wireless provisioning of the password is a real challenge with 63-character passwords. Ideally, SSID name should also be uncommon. Here is a formula for password entropy, with L being length abd C being range of characters: log(C) / log(2) * L
1 Kudo