cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Stadia Controller Not Detected

Jump to solution

Only two things detect when my controller is connected to my PC: Windows lists it under Bluetooth and Other Devices as a Stadia Controller, and Chrome detected it when wired without me having to set up WiFi for it.

Steam did detect it in its configuration menu for controllers for all of thirty seconds. Since then, nothing I have tried has got it to work again with anything but Stadia. And I mean anything: even websites in Chrome don't detect when its connected. All the while, Windows still recognises it as what it is but everything else says there isn't a controller connected.

I've tried uninstalling whatever driver Windows applied, I've tried different cables... Nothing.

I can only wire it to my PC. I don't have a Bluetooth adaptor for it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

In case this helps anyone else, I found myself a workaround of sorts. This is clearly a bug on someone's end, but I'm sticking to my guns that the Stadia controller has next to no support from Google to be able to be used with anything but Stadia, which is kind of naff. I'm hoping they give it some more attention. I'd love it to be plug and play with things other than Stadia without having to rely on Steam as the only non-sketchy support.

1. Open Steam, and open Big Picture Mode. Make sure the controller is wired in;
  2. Enter Controller Settings;
  3. Click Unhide Devices (might need to do this a few times);
    1. Doing this made Steam recognise the controller as a Generic Gamepad - not a Stadia Controller;
  4. Exit and use the other sections to check its response and current mappings.

Hope this helps anyone who gets stuck in the same way. Don't know why it had to be in Big Picture to do this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Community Member

In case this helps anyone else, I found myself a workaround of sorts. This is clearly a bug on someone's end, but I'm sticking to my guns that the Stadia controller has next to no support from Google to be able to be used with anything but Stadia, which is kind of naff. I'm hoping they give it some more attention. I'd love it to be plug and play with things other than Stadia without having to rely on Steam as the only non-sketchy support.

1. Open Steam, and open Big Picture Mode. Make sure the controller is wired in;
  2. Enter Controller Settings;
  3. Click Unhide Devices (might need to do this a few times);
    1. Doing this made Steam recognise the controller as a Generic Gamepad - not a Stadia Controller;
  4. Exit and use the other sections to check its response and current mappings.

Hope this helps anyone who gets stuck in the same way. Don't know why it had to be in Big Picture to do this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@GIRTHQUAKE Just to confirm, is your issue with getting the controller to work over WiFi (as in, it works absolutely fine when connected via USB)? Or does it not work at all?

0 Kudos
Community Member

Hi @codesplice,

The issue is that the controller won't interface with anything on my PC but Windows and Chrome in any way. Certain applications (such as Steam) which are meant to be able to detect the controller when it's wired up to the PC don't detect it. Even websites in Chrome made for detecting connected controllers don't detect it. What's more problematic, as mentioned, is that Steam did detect it for around thirty seconds.

I think the wire is fine - it doesn't fail to charge it and doesn't fail to act in place of wireless connectivity. I've tried swapping it out with three different cables.

I haven't found any reference to my issue so far. Perhaps one, but the guy simply said he could never get his to work on his PC at all - obviously, that's not where I'm at since it does work well with Stadia in Chrome.

It's fully up to date with the Stadia app' - I mean, connecting it to my phone doesn't show any update warnings, so I presume it's up to date.

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@GIRTHQUAKE So does it work with Stadia (in Chrome)?

I found this Reddit thread with some tips on getting the Stadia controller to work with Steam:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/dzoflb/using_stadia_controller_on_steam/

0 Kudos
Community Member

@codesplice, it works with Stadia. It just doesn't work with anything else.

I've already found and followed that guide - that's what I mean when I say that it isn't detected by Steam.

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@GIRTHQUAKE Any change if you close out all Chrome processes before opening Steam? I wonder if Chrome might be holding on to the controller and not letting other apps use it.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@codesplice, unfortunately not. I've also tried reinstalling Steam in case something screwed up on that side of things, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@GIRTHQUAKE I'm afraid I'm running low on ideas. I don't have access to a PC other than my work computer so I can't test this on my own. And all my Googling suggests that the steps in that Reddit thread should do the trick. 

Hopefully someone else will be able to help out. 🙂

0 Kudos
Community Member

Well, thank you for your thoughts at any rate, @codesplice. And yeah - hopefully.

0 Kudos