cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Linking to CCU works fine, linking to a phone doesn't work.

Jump to solution

I'm trying to connect my Stadia controller to my Pixel 3XL and can't seem to get it to work. I'm able to connect to two CCU's and the Stadia app on my computer just fine. When I type in the code for my phone though it just flashes orange twice and then goes back to blinking white. It's like it thinks the code is invalid. I have two Stadia controllers and both do the same thing. I'm able to connect them to the phone via USB-C just fine but Wi-Fi doesn't work. Not sure what else to try. Appreciate the help.

Tags (2)
2 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

I just figured it out! Well I should say I found the post below and their solution worked for me!

As a Google Fi member I had the Google VPN turned on which appeared to have been interfering with the connection to the controller. If you're on Google Fi, in the app: Fi Network Tools > Turn off Enhance Network. Good luck.

https://community.stadia.com/t5/The-Stadia-Controller/Wireless-Link-to-Android-App-for-Fi-users/m-p/...

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
2 Kudos
8 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @heircide 

did you check this site? https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578658?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

If I read it correctly, orange blinking could mean, that the Stadia controller needs an update (to perform a paring to Android). 

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Thanks for your suggestion Tobonaut. Yes I have looked at that site. Like I said in my post I've successfully connected the controllers to 2 Chromecasts and also my computer, via Wi-Fi. I've setup both of my controllers and have been using Stadia since release. They work fine. The only issue I'm having is connecting either controller to my phone via Wi-Fi (like I said connecting them via USB-C works fine which is what I've been using for months now). I've heard that you can now connect the controllers to the phone via Wi-Fi and I wanted to try it out. But when I input the connection code the controllers blink red twice (not sure what that means but I think it means you've input an incorrect connection code not that they aren't connected to Wi-Fi), and then go back to blinking white. I've input the code over and over and over again and it always blinks red twice and never connects. If I put in a code for the computer or a Chromecast they connect fine. I only have an issue connecting them to my phone. It's like the phone isn't broadcasting it's connection code or something (I have no idea how this works). I can see the controller on the phone (it says ready to link) it just won't connect when I type in the code (yes I'm typing in the correct code). Any suggestions on what I can try to get this working? I'm using Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO access points in case that is helpful.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the Stadia app on my phone which gave it a new code. Still doesn't work. Same thing the controller thinks I've entered a wrong code.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I'm having the EXACT same issue on my Pixel 2 XL. I'm a little happy that I've found someone who has the same problem because I've been searching for a week and hadn't found any one else articulate the same problem so precisely. 

I also am able to connect to a Chromecast Ultra and my computer wirelessly with no issues, it's just when I try to type in the linking code for my phone that it blinks orange twice (while vibrating twice) then continues blinking white with no connection made. I've also tried uninstalling the app, updating the app, resetting the controller, and resetting my phone with no change. 

Stadia App version 2.26 , I am running Android 11 beta 2.5 (July 2020 version). I've also submitted a bug report.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I just figured it out! Well I should say I found the post below and their solution worked for me!

As a Google Fi member I had the Google VPN turned on which appeared to have been interfering with the connection to the controller. If you're on Google Fi, in the app: Fi Network Tools > Turn off Enhance Network. Good luck.

https://community.stadia.com/t5/The-Stadia-Controller/Wireless-Link-to-Android-App-for-Fi-users/m-p/...

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
2 Kudos
Community Member

Dude that was it! Thank you so much for the help. Turning off the VPN fixed it.

0 Kudos
Community Member

OMG after mooooonnnnnntttthhhhsss of being aggravatingly changing all settings this worked. Can this please get added to the controller support page?! This two second fix dealt with 4 months of tweaking, never occurred to me that Google’s VPN was blocking Google’s hardware access 

0 Kudos
Community Member

What about the users who don't have Google fi ? 

Nathaniel Williams
0 Kudos