cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Issues with linking your Stadia Controller?

Linking your Stadia controller to a screen

You need to link your Stadia Controller to a screen before you can use it to play. If you want to play on a TV using Chromecast Ultra, you’ll need to use a linking code to link your Stadia Controller wirelessly. If you want to play on a PC or phone, you must use a USB cable to connect the Stadia Controller. 

What is a linking code?

To let your Stadia Controller know which screen you want to play on wirelessly, you’ll need to enter a linking code for that screen. The linking code lets you easily change which screen your controller is linked to. Each screen will have its own unique linking code that will rarely change. 

Enter linking codes from left to right, one button at a time. Linking codes are 4-5 characters long and consist of only Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, X, Y.

Here is a sample of what a linking code looks like. The code for your screen will be different. 

GraceFromGoogle_0-1574126629952.png

Note: Currently, linking codes will only appear on Chromecast Ultra. Linking codes for other devices will be available soon.

How to link with a Chromecast

1. Press the Stadia button for one second to turn on your Stadia Controller. The controller will vibrate. If you have not previously setup the controller with Wi-Fi, you can follow the instructions here.
  2. As soon as the status light blinks white, enter the linking code displayed on your Chromecast Ultra in Ambient Mode.
  3. It can take up to 15 seconds for the entered linking code to be recognized. If the link was successful, the controller will vibrate and Stadia will launch on your Chromecast Ultra. The status light on your controller will turn solid white when it is linked to the screen.

Note: If the status light blinks orange, it means the controller can’t connect to Wi-Fi. Open the controller menu in the Stadia app to set up the controller with Wi-Fi. If you need to change the Wi-Fi on your Chromecast, use the Google Home app.

2 Kudos
41 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

This is one of the biggest pains I deal with on Stadia. I have to link my Controller randomly. And there are times when the code just isn’t accepted at all. I have to power cycle the CCU, phone, and controller to get the code recognized, and sometimes I have to go through multiple power cycles. 

Linux Pro Tip:
sudo rm -rf /etc

Disclaimer: While this works, it’s generally better to just login as root for normal use. This prevents the need to place ‘sudo’ at the beginning of every command you really need to run.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thx 4 this info @GraceFromGoogle
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I've been using it wired and playing in a browser window because it runs more smoothly when I do that. I plug in the controller, it flashes orange for a minute, then turns off. Even plugging it into the wall to charge it, it does that. I have no idea what's happening to it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I agree. I have spent the last 30 minutes chatting with Stadia support in an attempt to get my controller reconnected to my Chromecast Ultra. After weeks that it worked fine today none of my two controllers managed to connect. I tried to reset my Ultra, reconnect the controller to the WIFI, etc. but I was still unable to connect to the screen. Eventually I rebooted my router and the Ultra and the controller and Ultra managed to see each other. What a pain. Let's hope that a future enhancement will make it foolproof and easier to achieve. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello together,

i`ve a little question/issue and i hope, you can help me.

It happens now every weekend, that the controller isn`t connected to the stadia anymore and i`ve to put in the code once again, because the controller blinks white. After this all is working fine and i can start stadia and so on, also the next day. So only when i don`t use stadia for round about one week, this situation happens. Is this normal and why it happens?

Thanks for your support!!

Best regards

Micha

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I am on Xfinity xFi platform and I want to say it works well until we have xFi Pods installed. Now my controller is having trouble linking to the Chromecast Ultra even though both are on same WiFi network. Is this issue a known issue with xFi Pods interfering with the functionality of the Controller?

If so, what are the workaround to have the controller successfully link and hold the link during the game.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Bamberger wrote:

Hello together,

i`ve a little question/issue and i hope, you can help me.

It happens now every weekend, that the controller isn`t connected to the stadia anymore and i`ve to put in the code once again, because the controller blinks white. After this all is working fine and i can start stadia and so on, also the next day. So only when i don`t use stadia for round about one week, this situation happens. Is this normal and why it happens?

Thanks for your support!!

Best regards

Micha

Hello,

my issue is solved. Looks like, there was a update or so and now Stadia is starting every time and switches to the right channel on my TV, also when some days are gone. I don`t need to enter the Code once again.

Best regards

Micha

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

This has been my experience as well to the t. Hopefully the controller issue will be better when it can be paired via Bluetooth or something 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello,

I have 2 stadia controllers a chromecast ultra and an applie time capsule running on 5Ghz. For the life of me I cannot get either of the controllers to connect. I have tried rebooting the accesspoint, the chromecast and even my phone, but nothing works. The setup app gives sometimes "Service connection error" or "No internet connection". I have many other devices connected to this network and none of them has any problems. It is only these controllers that give issues. Google, can you please rethink how the controllers are connecting or give me some indication of why a wireless network that works for everything else does not work for the stadia controllers ? I am losing my patience here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Lilphish did you contact Google support to replace it? I've been waiting since April 29th for a reply email from them regarding my unlinking issues. 

0 Kudos