cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Issues with linking your Stadia Controller?

Linking your Stadia controller to a screen

You need to link your Stadia Controller to a screen before you can use it to play. If you want to play on a TV using Chromecast Ultra, you’ll need to use a linking code to link your Stadia Controller wirelessly. If you want to play on a PC or phone, you must use a USB cable to connect the Stadia Controller. 

What is a linking code?

To let your Stadia Controller know which screen you want to play on wirelessly, you’ll need to enter a linking code for that screen. The linking code lets you easily change which screen your controller is linked to. Each screen will have its own unique linking code that will rarely change. 

Enter linking codes from left to right, one button at a time. Linking codes are 4-5 characters long and consist of only Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, X, Y.

Here is a sample of what a linking code looks like. The code for your screen will be different. 

GraceFromGoogle_0-1574126629952.png

Note: Currently, linking codes will only appear on Chromecast Ultra. Linking codes for other devices will be available soon.

How to link with a Chromecast

1. Press the Stadia button for one second to turn on your Stadia Controller. The controller will vibrate. If you have not previously setup the controller with Wi-Fi, you can follow the instructions here.
  2. As soon as the status light blinks white, enter the linking code displayed on your Chromecast Ultra in Ambient Mode.
  3. It can take up to 15 seconds for the entered linking code to be recognized. If the link was successful, the controller will vibrate and Stadia will launch on your Chromecast Ultra. The status light on your controller will turn solid white when it is linked to the screen.

Note: If the status light blinks orange, it means the controller can’t connect to Wi-Fi. Open the controller menu in the Stadia app to set up the controller with Wi-Fi. If you need to change the Wi-Fi on your Chromecast, use the Google Home app.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
TomElit
Community Member

Hi all, Similar issue here. First of all, I restarted/rebooted everything (Chromecast, Pad, Apps, Router). All works according to manuals however after entering the linking code nothing happens. Did anyone come across this? At some point the pad goes to orange blinking but both the pad and the Chromecast are connected to the same WiFi. The manual does not really give any hints here (@Google: massive improvement potential).
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Dropkick
Community Member

What seemed to work for me was connecting the Chromecast Ultra to the 5 ghz band and the controller to the 2.4 ghz band.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lilphish
Community Member

I'm still not able to link my controller to the Chromecast that came with it.  I'm using a Netgear Orbi wireless router.  I've tried chromecast on 5Ghz and wired and it makes no difference.  I'm able to see all devices connected when looking at my router including the controller.  I can ping the controller and chromecast as well and they are on the same network.  I'm not able to connect the controller to 2.4ghz band though.  I've tried lowering the 5ghz radio strength and hiding the SSID and it still connects at 5ghz.  In any event, my controller connects to wireless fine, but will not communicate with Chromecast still.  It is very frustrating. 

Anyone with a Netgear Orbi able to get this to work? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CHRomoSoiD
Community Member

I'm not sure what happened, but my controller simply won't connect. Let me explain:

I made sure to connect my controller to my Wi-Fi network, as well as my Chromecast Ultra. Then, I entered my linking code with the controller. Well, it started blinking white for a few moments, and then it vibrated and blinked orange for a few moments. After that, it just turned off by itself and wouldn't link. The odd thing is that I didn't have this issue until after I played Stadia on my laptop with a USB cable. 

I'm not sure what to do now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sibbe
Community Member

It starts to Link and shows the Stadia logo but shuts down after a cuople of seconds and shows linking code again. I have tried all of the tips and trix in this forum.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lilphish
Community Member

My issue was finally fixed today, and I received my Founder's edition the day after it was released. Save yourself the time and headache and ask Google for a replacement. I thought my issue had something to do with my Netgear Orbi router, but the new one showed up today and it worked first time like a charm. The return process is actually really nice as well. They ship out a replacement and then you just send the old one back after you receive it within 21 days. If you have the Founder's edition, they still replace it with a brand new Founder's edition. I'm so relieved to have this issue resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Furyian
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I can't play any games because the 2 controllers I bought do not work at all. I don't even know what google is doing. The TV screen indicates that I need to link my controller and I have followed the directions but no matter what I do this POS says the same error over and over.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Furyian
Community Member

Can you please tell me where I go to return the controller 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Myafaye
Community Member

May I asked the process to change the controller.  Can't find customer service for Stadia unless is through Google itself. Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lilphish
Community Member

I just used the online chat for customer service which can be found here: https://support.google.com/stadia/contact/stadia_chat They then sent me an email with a pre-paid shipping label and RMA for the replacement.
1 Kudo