cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Issues with linking your Stadia Controller?

Linking your Stadia controller to a screen

You need to link your Stadia Controller to a screen before you can use it to play. If you want to play on a TV using Chromecast Ultra, you’ll need to use a linking code to link your Stadia Controller wirelessly. If you want to play on a PC or phone, you must use a USB cable to connect the Stadia Controller. 

What is a linking code?

To let your Stadia Controller know which screen you want to play on wirelessly, you’ll need to enter a linking code for that screen. The linking code lets you easily change which screen your controller is linked to. Each screen will have its own unique linking code that will rarely change. 

Enter linking codes from left to right, one button at a time. Linking codes are 4-5 characters long and consist of only Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, X, Y.

Here is a sample of what a linking code looks like. The code for your screen will be different. 

GraceFromGoogle_0-1574126629952.png

Note: Currently, linking codes will only appear on Chromecast Ultra. Linking codes for other devices will be available soon.

How to link with a Chromecast

1. Press the Stadia button for one second to turn on your Stadia Controller. The controller will vibrate. If you have not previously setup the controller with Wi-Fi, you can follow the instructions here.
  2. As soon as the status light blinks white, enter the linking code displayed on your Chromecast Ultra in Ambient Mode.
  3. It can take up to 15 seconds for the entered linking code to be recognized. If the link was successful, the controller will vibrate and Stadia will launch on your Chromecast Ultra. The status light on your controller will turn solid white when it is linked to the screen.

Note: If the status light blinks orange, it means the controller can’t connect to Wi-Fi. Open the controller menu in the Stadia app to set up the controller with Wi-Fi. If you need to change the Wi-Fi on your Chromecast, use the Google Home app.

1 Kudo
37 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I can’t actually get my controller to connect to my home WiFi network at all. I have tried resetting my WiFi( contacted my provider), and also removed any other bandwidth sharing. My speed is up to 100 mbps so it should be good enough. My chrome cast ultra connected to the WiFi network fine, it’s just the controller can’t seem to connect to my internet. I also tried getting closer to the signal by trying it next to my router( no results). In fact, I tried connecting my controller to a public WiFi network, and it worked just fine( it connected to the network successfully, while it could not access the internet because It had to go through a sign up process). I really don’t know what the problem is. Help please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have Problem with the Controller to find him on App. Its helful to reboot your Smartphone. Then IT works fine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

My controller cant connect to the wifi and then loses connection with the phone.

This happens over and over with no joy, reset the net phone and factory reset the controller. 

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I'm using a Netgear Orbi wireless router.  It has dual bands and it shows that both the controller and chromecast are connected to wifi.  They are on the same network and I can ping both devices.  In the Stadia app I get a Service Device error and then it says "Can't reach Google Services"  "The Controller is connected to the internet, but can't reach google services".  I also tried a TCP and UDP port forward to the internal Stadia controller IP as recommended in another thread and that did not help either.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Google has no clue on how to fix this.  Their suggestion was to try setting up a mobile hotspot for the devices and try to connect.  I tired that just to see if it would work and it did not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hey @KingVeder  have you tried running the setup in a different phone? I ran my setup on an I phone 7 where it didn’t work, but when I in stalled the app on a Samsung A 10 and ran the setup it worked. Try a different phone, preferably a different software.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I got it working in the end. Left the controller on top of the router and it worked. I think you could be right about it being a phone issue though!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have the same problem, but then with an TP-LINK archer.

Did you manage to fix your controller issue?

I can connect to my WiFi fine, but can't seem to connect to the Google Services.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I solved my problem:

`The MTU size of my router was setup incorrectly. The default was set to 1500. but the optimal value for my ISP is 1472, therefore the controller could connect to the internet but wasn't able to connect to the google services. 😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

1492*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I cant seem to get two controllers to connect to play samurai showdown consistently. When I long press on the stadia button to try and exit the controller does not respond once the menu to exit stadia pops up. I'm thinking if just buying a PS4 and returning stadia. What good is all of this if my kids cant connect a controller to play and enjoy the game. Spent 40 minutes just going through the forum and reading posts and thinking if I had a console I could be playing with my kids right now instead of shutting down the controller restarting my phone app reconnecting to my chromecast and after 3 minutes of play the controller disconnects again. This happened 5 time so far Giving this device few more days until officially label this as either awesome or a POS and moving on.
0 Kudos