cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Issues with linking your Stadia Controller?

Linking your Stadia controller to a screen

You need to link your Stadia Controller to a screen before you can use it to play. If you want to play on a TV using Chromecast Ultra, you’ll need to use a linking code to link your Stadia Controller wirelessly. If you want to play on a PC or phone, you must use a USB cable to connect the Stadia Controller. 

What is a linking code?

To let your Stadia Controller know which screen you want to play on wirelessly, you’ll need to enter a linking code for that screen. The linking code lets you easily change which screen your controller is linked to. Each screen will have its own unique linking code that will rarely change. 

Enter linking codes from left to right, one button at a time. Linking codes are 4-5 characters long and consist of only Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, X, Y.

Here is a sample of what a linking code looks like. The code for your screen will be different. 

GraceFromGoogle_0-1574126629952.png

Note: Currently, linking codes will only appear on Chromecast Ultra. Linking codes for other devices will be available soon.

How to link with a Chromecast

1. Press the Stadia button for one second to turn on your Stadia Controller. The controller will vibrate. If you have not previously setup the controller with Wi-Fi, you can follow the instructions here.
  2. As soon as the status light blinks white, enter the linking code displayed on your Chromecast Ultra in Ambient Mode.
  3. It can take up to 15 seconds for the entered linking code to be recognized. If the link was successful, the controller will vibrate and Stadia will launch on your Chromecast Ultra. The status light on your controller will turn solid white when it is linked to the screen.

Note: If the status light blinks orange, it means the controller can’t connect to Wi-Fi. Open the controller menu in the Stadia app to set up the controller with Wi-Fi. If you need to change the Wi-Fi on your Chromecast, use the Google Home app.

3 Kudos
41 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Posted this to /r/stadia and was redirected here. This heading seemingly matches my issue. Here's what I posted to Reddit: I activated my account last evening when my code arrived. My Founder's Edition arrived today. I first replaced my older Chromecast with the included Chromecast Ultra and verified successful casting from various sources. Straightforward. I next launched the Stadia app on my Pixel 3, tapped the controller icon and setup WiFi on my controller. I then entered the linking code displayed on the Chromecast. As I had not yet claimed any games, there was limited interaction I could perform; but I did verify I could open the side menu and navigate as expected. I added the Chromecast to my account in the app. I also setup a PIN for my controller. I then exited Stadia as I had other things to do. This all worked just fine. I've since claimed Destiny 2 in the Stadia app. Now that I've decided to see how it handles, I cannot get my controller to link to my Chromecast. With the controller powered off, and my Chromecast displaying the ambient screen. I press the controller button for one second, the controller vibrates, white status light illuminates and the screen displays the Stadia logo leading me to believe things are launching. Within 5 seconds, I get another controller vibration, the link code popup appears on my screen and the controller begins flashing orange. I cannot enter the link code again and connect. The Stadia app indicates the controller could not link to the screen. The Chromecast will not revert to the ambient screen after any length of timeout (would be nice). I have resetup WiFi on the controller with no change in results.
3 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

same problem as the guy above
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had the exact same problem. I am hearing if you restart your phone that will allow you to go through the proper stadia controller wifi setup and should fix the issue. Hopefully we can get a response from Grace though that can clarify.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Turn the controller off and then open up the stadia app. Then click on the controller icon and let it search for the controller. While it is doing this hold down the main stadia button and y on the controller at same time and once you see the flashing orange light, let go. It will then get picked up by the app and will take you through the connecting process
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same issue here as McLaurinMan. Please post if you have a resolution

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

My controller couldn't be found at all. I combined 2 of the solutions here and it worked for me. Turn off your controller. Restart your phone. Open the Stadia App and click the controller icon. After it starts searching, turn on the controller. Those steps worked for me. I was able to get the app to find my controller, and set up the WiFi and Chromecast with no problems at all. I hope that helps.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

I had this problem too yesterday. I think the problem for me was actually in the chromecast. While the chromecast was updating i plugged in a internet cable which i think kind of crashed the chromecast. I had the same problems as you guys were/are having. After a factory reset of the chromecast and reconfiguring the lot everything seems to be working fine. So tldr; try and see if factory resetting the chromecast works.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Maikel I think I have the same issue as you. I plugged in an ethernet cable while playing and after I had already set everything up through WiFi. You are saying if I just factory reset the chromecast, everything should work fine? Did you try anything else? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I've had several issues with the controller not connecting and having the orange blinking light as you mentioned. I also noticed - and it may just be a coincidence - that when I use the Chromecast to actually cast things like netflix net Hulu and then go back to Stadia is usually when this happens. However I have two times reset the wifi setup on the controller and it's resolved the issue. No issues with a direct plug into Pixel 4, just with WiFi. 

0 Kudos