cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Issues with linking your Stadia Controller?

Linking your Stadia controller to a screen

You need to link your Stadia Controller to a screen before you can use it to play. In order to play on a TV with Chromecast, a mobile device, or on web with Chrome, you’ll need to use a linking code to link your Stadia Controller wirelessly.

What is a linking code?

To let your Stadia Controller know which screen you want to play on wirelessly, you’ll need to enter a linking code for that screen. The linking code lets you easily change which screen your controller is linked to. Each screen will have its own unique linking code that will rarely change. 

Enter linking codes from left to right, one button at a time. Linking codes are 4-5 characters long and consist of only Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, X, Y.

Here is a sample of what a linking code looks like. The code for your screen will be different. 

GraceFromGoogle_0-1574126629952.png

How to link with a Chromecast

1. Press the Stadia button for one second to turn on your Stadia Controller. The controller will vibrate. If you have not previously setup the controller with Wi-Fi, you can follow the instructions here.
  2. As soon as the status light blinks white, enter the linking code displayed on your Chromecast Ultra in Ambient Mode.
  3. It can take up to 15 seconds for the entered linking code to be recognized. If the link was successful, the controller will vibrate and Stadia will launch on your Chromecast Ultra. The status light on your controller will turn solid white when it is linked to the screen.

Note: If the status light blinks orange, it means the controller can’t connect to Wi-Fi. Open the controller menu in the Stadia app to set up the controller with Wi-Fi. If you need to change the Wi-Fi on your Chromecast, use the Google Home app.

4 Kudos
49 Replies
Community Member

Posted this to /r/stadia and was redirected here. This heading seemingly matches my issue. Here's what I posted to Reddit: I activated my account last evening when my code arrived. My Founder's Edition arrived today. I first replaced my older Chromecast with the included Chromecast Ultra and verified successful casting from various sources. Straightforward. I next launched the Stadia app on my Pixel 3, tapped the controller icon and setup WiFi on my controller. I then entered the linking code displayed on the Chromecast. As I had not yet claimed any games, there was limited interaction I could perform; but I did verify I could open the side menu and navigate as expected. I added the Chromecast to my account in the app. I also setup a PIN for my controller. I then exited Stadia as I had other things to do. This all worked just fine. I've since claimed Destiny 2 in the Stadia app. Now that I've decided to see how it handles, I cannot get my controller to link to my Chromecast. With the controller powered off, and my Chromecast displaying the ambient screen. I press the controller button for one second, the controller vibrates, white status light illuminates and the screen displays the Stadia logo leading me to believe things are launching. Within 5 seconds, I get another controller vibration, the link code popup appears on my screen and the controller begins flashing orange. I cannot enter the link code again and connect. The Stadia app indicates the controller could not link to the screen. The Chromecast will not revert to the ambient screen after any length of timeout (would be nice). I have resetup WiFi on the controller with no change in results.
3 Kudos
Deleted User
Not applicable

I also had the exact same problem. I am hearing if you restart your phone that will allow you to go through the proper stadia controller wifi setup and should fix the issue. Hopefully we can get a response from Grace though that can clarify.
1 Kudo
Community Member

Turn the controller off and then open up the stadia app. Then click on the controller icon and let it search for the controller. While it is doing this hold down the main stadia button and y on the controller at same time and once you see the flashing orange light, let go. It will then get picked up by the app and will take you through the connecting process
2 Kudos
Community Member

Pressing Y and the Stadia button on the controller worked for me (didn't need the Stadia app).

0 Kudos
Community Member

Same issue here as McLaurinMan. Please post if you have a resolution

1 Kudo
Community Member

I had this problem too yesterday. I think the problem for me was actually in the chromecast. While the chromecast was updating i plugged in a internet cable which i think kind of crashed the chromecast. I had the same problems as you guys were/are having. After a factory reset of the chromecast and reconfiguring the lot everything seems to be working fine. So tldr; try and see if factory resetting the chromecast works.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Hi Maikel I think I have the same issue as you. I plugged in an ethernet cable while playing and after I had already set everything up through WiFi. You are saying if I just factory reset the chromecast, everything should work fine? Did you try anything else? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Community Member

Switch the Bluetooth off on your phone 😁

0 Kudos
Community Member

same problem as the guy above
1 Kudo
Community Member

My controller couldn't be found at all. I combined 2 of the solutions here and it worked for me. Turn off your controller. Restart your phone. Open the Stadia App and click the controller icon. After it starts searching, turn on the controller. Those steps worked for me. I was able to get the app to find my controller, and set up the WiFi and Chromecast with no problems at all. I hope that helps.
2 Kudos
Community Member

I've had several issues with the controller not connecting and having the orange blinking light as you mentioned. I also noticed - and it may just be a coincidence - that when I use the Chromecast to actually cast things like netflix net Hulu and then go back to Stadia is usually when this happens. However I have two times reset the wifi setup on the controller and it's resolved the issue. No issues with a direct plug into Pixel 4, just with WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

I can’t actually get my controller to connect to my home WiFi network at all. I have tried resetting my WiFi( contacted my provider), and also removed any other bandwidth sharing. My speed is up to 100 mbps so it should be good enough. My chrome cast ultra connected to the WiFi network fine, it’s just the controller can’t seem to connect to my internet. I also tried getting closer to the signal by trying it next to my router( no results). In fact, I tried connecting my controller to a public WiFi network, and it worked just fine( it connected to the network successfully, while it could not access the internet because It had to go through a sign up process). I really don’t know what the problem is. Help please.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I have Problem with the Controller to find him on App. Its helful to reboot your Smartphone. Then IT works fine

0 Kudos
Community Member

My controller cant connect to the wifi and then loses connection with the phone.

This happens over and over with no joy, reset the net phone and factory reset the controller. 

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
Community Member

Hey @KingVeder  have you tried running the setup in a different phone? I ran my setup on an I phone 7 where it didn’t work, but when I in stalled the app on a Samsung A 10 and ran the setup it worked. Try a different phone, preferably a different software.

Tags (2)
1 Kudo
Community Member

I got it working in the end. Left the controller on top of the router and it worked. I think you could be right about it being a phone issue though!
0 Kudos
Community Member

@Becomingpark451 @GraceFromGoogle 

BecomingPark451 thank you this fixed my issue. I have the IPhone 11 Pro, switched from pixel 2xl a month back or so. Went to connect my controllers, factory reset them, updated the app via iPhone and kept getting a service connection error. Then I booted up my 2xl, updated the app and got my controllers to connect. So thank you! It’s a shame the IOS app isn’t up to snuff. I’m sure they will get it sorted eventually. Can’t wait to play via my IOS as well. For now my old 2xl works as a great stadia console and home controller though lol.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm using a Netgear Orbi wireless router.  It has dual bands and it shows that both the controller and chromecast are connected to wifi.  They are on the same network and I can ping both devices.  In the Stadia app I get a Service Device error and then it says "Can't reach Google Services"  "The Controller is connected to the internet, but can't reach google services".  I also tried a TCP and UDP port forward to the internal Stadia controller IP as recommended in another thread and that did not help either.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Google has no clue on how to fix this.  Their suggestion was to try setting up a mobile hotspot for the devices and try to connect.  I tired that just to see if it would work and it did not.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I have the same problem, but then with an TP-LINK archer.

Did you manage to fix your controller issue?

I can connect to my WiFi fine, but can't seem to connect to the Google Services.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I solved my problem:

`The MTU size of my router was setup incorrectly. The default was set to 1500. but the optimal value for my ISP is 1472, therefore the controller could connect to the internet but wasn't able to connect to the google services. 😁

0 Kudos
Community Member

1492*

0 Kudos
Community Member

I cant seem to get two controllers to connect to play samurai showdown consistently. When I long press on the stadia button to try and exit the controller does not respond once the menu to exit stadia pops up. I'm thinking if just buying a PS4 and returning stadia. What good is all of this if my kids cant connect a controller to play and enjoy the game. Spent 40 minutes just going through the forum and reading posts and thinking if I had a console I could be playing with my kids right now instead of shutting down the controller restarting my phone app reconnecting to my chromecast and after 3 minutes of play the controller disconnects again. This happened 5 time so far Giving this device few more days until officially label this as either awesome or a POS and moving on.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Hi all, Similar issue here. First of all, I restarted/rebooted everything (Chromecast, Pad, Apps, Router). All works according to manuals however after entering the linking code nothing happens. Did anyone come across this? At some point the pad goes to orange blinking but both the pad and the Chromecast are connected to the same WiFi. The manual does not really give any hints here (@Google: massive improvement potential).
3 Kudos
Community Member

What seemed to work for me was connecting the Chromecast Ultra to the 5 ghz band and the controller to the 2.4 ghz band.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm still not able to link my controller to the Chromecast that came with it.  I'm using a Netgear Orbi wireless router.  I've tried chromecast on 5Ghz and wired and it makes no difference.  I'm able to see all devices connected when looking at my router including the controller.  I can ping the controller and chromecast as well and they are on the same network.  I'm not able to connect the controller to 2.4ghz band though.  I've tried lowering the 5ghz radio strength and hiding the SSID and it still connects at 5ghz.  In any event, my controller connects to wireless fine, but will not communicate with Chromecast still.  It is very frustrating. 

Anyone with a Netgear Orbi able to get this to work? 

0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm not sure what happened, but my controller simply won't connect. Let me explain:

I made sure to connect my controller to my Wi-Fi network, as well as my Chromecast Ultra. Then, I entered my linking code with the controller. Well, it started blinking white for a few moments, and then it vibrated and blinked orange for a few moments. After that, it just turned off by itself and wouldn't link. The odd thing is that I didn't have this issue until after I played Stadia on my laptop with a USB cable. 

I'm not sure what to do now.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I can't play any games because the 2 controllers I bought do not work at all. I don't even know what google is doing. The TV screen indicates that I need to link my controller and I have followed the directions but no matter what I do this POS says the same error over and over.
0 Kudos
Community Member

It starts to Link and shows the Stadia logo but shuts down after a cuople of seconds and shows linking code again. I have tried all of the tips and trix in this forum.
0 Kudos
Community Member

My issue was finally fixed today, and I received my Founder's edition the day after it was released. Save yourself the time and headache and ask Google for a replacement. I thought my issue had something to do with my Netgear Orbi router, but the new one showed up today and it worked first time like a charm. The return process is actually really nice as well. They ship out a replacement and then you just send the old one back after you receive it within 21 days. If you have the Founder's edition, they still replace it with a brand new Founder's edition. I'm so relieved to have this issue resolved.
0 Kudos