cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Ethernet cable/controller not on same WiFi

Jump to solution

WhenI connected the ethernet cable to the Chromecast ultra, The controller and the ultra didn’t register as being on the same network, which is the only way it appears the game is allowed to play, or at least the controller connects to the Chromecast ultra. Is there anyway to plug in the ethernet cable to the Chromecast but also connect the controller to my Internet and still play the game? The ethernet cable that’s plugged into the chrome cast is the same Internet source for my controller. Thank you!

1 Kudo
1 Solution
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Stadiums Can you check on your router to be sure that both the controller and ChromeCast are being assigned IPs on the same subnet? Depending on the network configuration, wired clients could be in a different DHCP scope from the wireless ones

For what it's worth, I've got my CCU wired to one of my Google WiFi nodes and it works beautifully with the controller. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Stadiums Can you check on your router to be sure that both the controller and ChromeCast are being assigned IPs on the same subnet? Depending on the network configuration, wired clients could be in a different DHCP scope from the wireless ones

For what it's worth, I've got my CCU wired to one of my Google WiFi nodes and it works beautifully with the controller. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Member

I’d try what @ codesplice said... it’s been a while and but you generally want to make sure your first 3 sets of the IP address are the same. ( likely 192.168.0. X ) the last digit(X) is the address assigned to your each device on the local network.  

0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

Hi all - I can see that when my PC is connected to my ethernet cable and the Stadia controller is on Wi-FI the IPs  aren't on the same subnet. How do you then get both to be on the same subnet? 

0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player
0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@thewyliefox That's much more a general networking thing rather than a Stadia thing. You'd need to evaluate how your network is configured and see if you can change the router settings to use the same subnet range for both wired and wireless interfaces.

0 Kudos
Community Member

My wired Nvidia Shield *is* on the same subnet as my Stadia controller, as is everything else in my house. However, I still must switch the Shield to WiFi in order for it to see the Stadia controller.

So, something else is going on. Maybe the physical routing of the network cables matters as well. My Shield passes through a switch before joining my wireless AP at a second switch.

It is possible, but unlikely, that my Stadia controller is connecting to a more distant wireless access point, in which case additional switches and pass-through access points would be in the network paths before they converge. But all are still on the same 192.168.0.xxx subnet.

0 Kudos