cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Crackling audio when Stadia controller is on WiFi.

I'm experiencing very crackly audio (hard to hear what is happening) when using headphones and only when the controller is on WiFi (sound from the Chromecast is fine and sound from the 3.5mm jack on the headphones is fine when the controller is connected to my phone by USB C).

I have tried on two different internet connections, one of them with ridiculously good WiFi that nobody else was using and insanely low latency (with plenty of bandwidth) and another less good, and with two sets of headphones.

I have reported it via feedback, but not got any sort of reply or acknowledgement.

23 Kudos
56 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

So, I received a complete replacement Founder's Edition box. I am still having the same problem. I tried a completely different type of headphones (over ear headphones with mic vs earbuds without mic), I tried it on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi. I tried using USB type C for the headphones (they aren't detected, as before). No change at all. I tried playing on a brand new Chromebook I've just got, in the Chrome browser, and, while there was no audio issue, as with when the controller was connected to my phone, there was significant input lag. As before, sound is perfectly fine from HDMI too. Not sure what the issue is, since it seems not to be hardware (unless both sets I got are faulty). I can only really play with headphones, and it is pretty unsatisfying playing on my phone, so I don't have an acceptable way to play right now, which is really annoying because I'd like to be playing Tomb Raider.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

The problem is i.already put on chromecast plastic cover some PI heat sink on it

Enokay Black Heat sink set for Raspberry Pi 2/Pi B+ (3 Packs) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014KKY19G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zCS6DbS6518BP

So i dont really want to ship them back you know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Well, @Tokra2003, my experience is that a replacement set of hardware hasn't made any difference, so no point in shipping it back (unless they actually fix the problem).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Ohhh you receive à brand new one and still have the problem 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Yep. Same problem with brand new hardware. It isn't a headphones issue or connection issue either, based on the fact that it both works and doesn't work in different circumstances with them the same, and continues to not work in the same circumstances except either of them changed.

TBH, I suspect that it is a hardware issue, but it just affects lots of controllers, and both the old and new one are affected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Do you get it all the time? Yesterday I noticed that in my setup the audio sometimes was OK, but every now and then it would crackle.

I start to wonder if this is an audio code issue where the quality goes down in order to adjust to the Internet link. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@FigsI get it constantly. I doubt it is a codec issue for me, as I get it even when playing at 1080p on an internet link and WiFi that can sustain >100Mbps bi-directional with <1ms latency and no packet loss (almost literally, there will be entire days between when a test packet is lost with our monitoring, ~0.00000001% packet loss).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I also thinking about this further and I have not noticed such audio crackling while playing on my pc. This certainly seems to be hardware related 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Figs I have not played much on anything other than the Chromecast (well, not played much at all, but I have at least spent quite a while on Stadia on the Chromecast trying to debug this). It is constant and pretty bad on the Chromecast for me. It is at least not there the very limited amount I have tried it on my phone.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Figs After trying it on my phone a bit more, I can tell I do get glitchy crackly sound sometimes, but it is occasional, and short lived, rather than constant.

0 Kudos