cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Crackling audio when Stadia controller is on WiFi.

I'm experiencing very crackly audio (hard to hear what is happening) when using headphones and only when the controller is on WiFi (sound from the Chromecast is fine and sound from the 3.5mm jack on the headphones is fine when the controller is connected to my phone by USB C).

I have tried on two different internet connections, one of them with ridiculously good WiFi that nobody else was using and insanely low latency (with plenty of bandwidth) and another less good, and with two sets of headphones.

I have reported it via feedback, but not got any sort of reply or acknowledgement.

18 Kudos
45 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I also have the same issue. Quite annoying, it does not happen when playing connected to a pc or sound comes through speakers. Just with a headset wired to the Stadia Controller.

I have a white Stadia controller from the premiere edition, by the way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

So, for me, it doesn't seem to be fixed at all by disconnecting and reconnecting the jack. I will try it again to try and work out if it could be being helped by that, but it just gets bad again so fast that it isn't obvious that it helps, or whether it definitely doesn't help at all, assuming I have time before returning it. I guess this info could be useful to other people. I guess Google can test things with my controller themselves when they get it back, including opening it up, so it probably isn't useful to them. Ultimately they need to fix these issues I guess, so not sure how helpful it is really for other people - I guess people don't really care why the problem happens, they just want it fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same problem here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Guys I have the same issue. The issue is only in input (my friends in the chat always hear me, I only have input interruptions while the mic is always ok). If I do not use the jack headphones and I use the tv speakers I have no interruptions at all.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have ordered my replacement controller (and Chromecast), with delivery date 6-9th. I have an RMA for the existing one. 

I assume this will fix the issue for me when it arrives, but I will post here to confirm when it has.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Do we need to RMA the controllers then, or is this a firmware update could fix? Any official response from Google?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Yesterday I was playing for the 1st time with the headphone connected to my controller and I was also experiencing the same issue. The crackling wasn't always that bad but I think it was masked out due to the action scenes.

My setup, founder's controller, Google Wi-Fi with gaming optimization turned on, 1 meter away from the router with line of sight, 3.5 mm sennheiser headset and controller with fully charged battery. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@jahilton2002 I don't know. That is what support advised after doing some tests with mine. I should get the new one tomorrow, so will update whether that has fixed the issue for me. It is perfectly possible that there is more than one cause, or that a firmware fix is possible, but either the support people dealing with my case didn't know that, or they will conclude that there is after examining mine. You'd have to talk to support to get them to authorise an RMA anyway I think.

I am having an auth hold on my card for the price of the controller and Chromecast Ultra, having the new ones shipped out and returning mine (has to arrive within 21 days, will send it when the replacement arrives), so won't be without one, but I don't think that was the only option. The crackling makes me not want to play with it, so it is a big issue for me, so I wanted a replacement ASAP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have the same issue but the fact they want the all package back is beyond ridiculous. Just change the controller that it
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Tokra2003 I guess there is some concern it could be to do with the Chromecast Ultra. It only happens when using the controller with the Chromecast Ultra for me, with the sound coming from the headphones from the controller. When using the controller plugged in to my phone, and the headphones plugged in to the controller, it doesn't happen. It is almost certainly to do with the controller and WiFi, but I guess this way makes sure. They are sending the new stuff before I have to send the old stuff back (with an auth hold on my card for the price of it in case I don't send it back), so there isn't any time without the stuff. I may try the new controller with the old Chromecast Ultra to be sure it is the controller before sending off the old stuff.

To me, the more ridiculous but is that they needed the serial number for the whole package from the box. I assume they would have managed somehow if I had already thrown away the box, but, mostly by chance, I hadn't yet. It would be unreasonable to expect someone to still have it I think, since they may not notice this immediately.

1 Kudo