cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Crackling audio when Stadia controller is on WiFi.

I'm experiencing very crackly audio (hard to hear what is happening) when using headphones and only when the controller is on WiFi (sound from the Chromecast is fine and sound from the 3.5mm jack on the headphones is fine when the controller is connected to my phone by USB C).

I have tried on two different internet connections, one of them with ridiculously good WiFi that nobody else was using and insanely low latency (with plenty of bandwidth) and another less good, and with two sets of headphones.

I have reported it via feedback, but not got any sort of reply or acknowledgement.

18 Kudos
45 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I have same extract problem that audio is crackling when I connect headset with 3.5mm jack to controller. Actually I only played on WiFi. First I connected my controller to 5GHz WiFi and it was crackling a lot. Then changed to 2.4GHz WiFi and it still happens but rarely.
5 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same problem here as well
4 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Getting the same. Need feedback please. Also guys, contact customer support on it too. We need To make sure we use all sources to be heard.
3 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I hadn't realised that customer support could actually be contacted, other than through this forum until today. I have contacted customer support (requested a call), who have tried debugging with me (factory resetting the Chromecast Ultra and Stadia Controller, trying a 2.4 GHz network) and not managed to eliminate the problem. I need the serial number for my whole Stadia package (the box both devices came in) which is at home, but they have said that, once they have that, they are going to do a replacement of my hardware (as I understand it, both the Founder's Edition controller and the Chromecast Ultra, but I would guess that it is the controller than is the issue, and I think they originally were going to replace just that).

I'll update this thread once the hardware is replaced and let you all know if that has fixed it for me.

Given that I have tried more than one set of headphones, on a super low latency, relatively high bandwidth, internet connection, which we (me and my colleagues, I am the IT manager for the company in question) were monitoring for packet loss (no packets dropped) and bandwidth usage (almost zero other than this), and on another connection, and factory reset the hardware, it is hard to see how it could not be a hardware issue for me at least. Edit: Also, on a WiFi network with no other devices other than my phone, from an AP with no other devices connected.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Same issue here.  I quickly disconnect and connect jack again to fix. 

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi guys, having the same issue. Disconnecting and reconnecting seems to fix the problem for like 5-10 minutes and it comes back.
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Unfortunately disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't fix it at all for me. It is still terribly bad immediately after reconnecting.
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have the same Problem.

Crackling audio with Stadia controller when playing.

My audio is crackling somtimes during stadia game sessions. The audio is played over the headset conntected with 3.5mm jack to controller. Actually I only played on WiFi with the Cromecast.

Disconnecting and reconnecting of the headset seems to fix the problem for like 5-10 minutes but then it comes back. Only a long break fixes the problem for a longer time period.

1 Kudo