cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cereal
Community Member

Controller stops working in Destiny

Hi, Weird bug here where the controller stops responding in destiny. I can still hit the stadia button to see the stadia menu, and I can navigate that fine, but in game nothing responds. This happens frequently, and if I’m in the middle of turning the camera, when it disconnects it will continue the previous input as if I’m still performing it. Any help with this?
4 Kudos
Highlighted
yef
Community Member

5Ghz or 2.4Ghz for the controller?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LovecraftTapes
Community Member

I've done some reading up on this. In my environment, I am running Google WiFi mesh network, which will automagically switch clients from 2.4 to 5 Ghz if they are dual band. After some spot-checking of other clients, I see they are running 2.4 where previously they had been running 5. So, I believe the sporadic drops are probably Google WiFi switching bands for better performance and doing so in a less than graceful manner. I will attempt to reach out to Stadia support and/or Google WiFi support for confirmation of this anomaly, and hopefully they can do something about it in a future firmware update.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ian1
Community Member

Same here, RDR2 and Metro.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nads614
Community Member

Same problem but on Ghost Recon Breakpoint, controller doesn't respond to the game but I am able to press Stadia button and play in the menu.

Edit: problem fixed when I switch to 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Eddy86
Community Member

I am having the same problem with Red Dead and Borderlands. Can we have an official response on this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
FOlavo
Community Member

I was able to fix the issue by ensuring that Stadia used different Wifi network or used wired connection. I think the issue is somehow related to having both Chromecast and stadia controller in same wifi network
0 Kudos
Highlighted
yef
Community Member

I disagree since I have the issue from the beginning and my chromecast is wired connected.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
LovecraftTapes
Community Member

@FOlavo The controller is a wireless device unto itself, so whether or not the Chromecast is wired will not make a difference. For the record, both CCUs I have are wired. The phenomenon occurs whether or not my CCUs are wired or wireless. In my situation, as I've stated above, I'm on Google Wifi (pre-Nest) so wireless devices (such as the controller) will attempt to connect via 2.4 or 5 GHz (or possibly between multiple wifi access points), depending on what *it* thinks is a stronger signal. It is my belief that the controller is switching between the two bands and that's what causes the temporary disconnect. The phenomenon is not consistent enough to predict and occurs even if I'm 5 feet from the router/access point. My hope is Google will push a controller update which will prevent it from switching bands/points once it locks on for the first time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
FOlavo
Community Member

@LovecraftTapes I understand the chromecast is a wireless device by itself. I was thinking maybe somehow they interfered?! I had exact same symptons and I fixed them by going wired on the chromecast. Doenst make much sense to me, but this is what I observed and am able to reproduce it everytime.

For the record, I have a 5Ghz wifi network only (no 2.4Ghz).

I am sorry if this doesnt work for you - I was just trying to share what worked for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LovecraftTapes
Community Member

@FOlavo Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a separate SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz channels? This is the Achilles heel for me, I think, because Google Wifi's mesh system has the *same* SSID for both channels, so wireless devices can't differentiate and, as far as I can tell, switch between the two signals as it thinks it needs to. There's no way to force the Stadia controller onto a certain band. It may be of interest to note, too, that I've only seen this happen while playing a FPS. Wondering if maybe the controller automatically switches between channels if it detects some sort of input lag while managing that monstrous throughput?

0 Kudos