cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

Controller lag only on wifi

Hi guys,

I'm a Stadia user since last April, and all went well until a couple of days ago.

Now, when I'm playing with the stadia controller connected to wifi i have a massive input lag/buffer starting about a couple of minutes after launching a game, then the behavior is unpredictable: goes well for a bit then lag again or just keep being worse.

To be clear when I say input lag i don't mean key strokes being a couple milliseconds late, i mean that some inputs are just ignored and some are persistent over time. For example when moving a character on screen, or their view when aiming, and I release the analogic stick the movement doesn't stop, sometimes for a little bit sometimes for a couple of seconds.The video feed doesn't stutter, freeze or degrade quality so I think it's just an input thing.

Below I will state my info, where I get this and what I already tried.

Connection: FTTC 80/20 Mbit

ChromeCast Ultra + Stadia pad over wifi: issue present

Stadia Android APP (Lenovo TAB10 or Pixel 3a) + Stadia pad over wifi: issue present

Chrome (Linux PC) + Stadia pad over wifi: issue present

Chrome (Linux PC) + Stadia pad over USB: works well

Chrome (Linux PC) + Keyboard/mouse: works well

I tried with The Division 2 (the game I play the most), Tomb Raider and GRID and the behavior is the same in any of these games. Tried also resetting the pad a few times (assistant+capture buttons for 6s) and on another wireless network (different house but same ISP) and the issue in still there.

Hope some of you are able to help me, don't hesitate asking for more info if needed.

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Founder
Founder

Maybe it has something to do with 2.4 and 5GHz? Make sure it connects via 5GHz. I know that when I try to play on my phone and I'm upstairs connected via an access point it connects via 2.4 GHz and it becomes unplayable. 

0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

It's possible, I tried yesterday enabling 5GHz on my router with another SSID and only connected the controller on it. Seemed working fine finally.

But I don't understand why stopped working on 2.4GHz, the neighborhood networks are the same and not even too many.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

I don't know the technical stuff, but I know 2.4 GHz doesn't work well for me and 5 does 😄. Glad it's working fine for you now.

0 Kudos