cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

Controller dead?

Jump to solution
Hello, I assume my controller just died, I only tried it once and wanted to try today on my new tv. However the Controller Never starts blinking, also not when charging and it won’t vibrate if I try to reset it. Am i safe to assume my controller is defective? It’s just not reacting to anything, I also tried charging it for 30 minutes, just to be safe. No luck here Thanks in advance
2 Kudos
2 Solutions
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

@TheRealAnorak My controller started charging again after 2 days of lying around. Don't know what it was but I believe it was stuck somehow and worked again because it completly discharged. Battery was totally empty when charging worked again. The controller had not reacted to any input. Also tried resetting it etc and kept it charging for hours and nothing happened (not even the logo started blinking, nothing)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Member
This happened to me and I used the chat support. If holding the Google Assistant and Capture buttons for 10 seconds doesn't work, try pressing and holding the Stadia button. When I did this, the light went off. When I turned it back on again, everything was back to normal.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Bahlor Just to make sure it's not a Chromecast connection issue, have you tried using the controller while playing Stadia on computer Chrome browser (using USB cable)? Does it work this way?

Also, I assume you have gone through the process of linking your Stadia controller to your TV? Are you using the Chromecast Ultra that came with the package?

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9605175?hl=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
1 Kudo
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

@Ivan Hello and thanks for the response. But the controller is not reacting to any input making it impossible to link again via stadia app, the led also never gets activated when holding the stadia button. When pushing a button the controller also does not vibrate, as before when I wanted to link it to my ccu. Also tested the controller connected via usb. Not working and not recognized under "controllers" in the stadia ui. Also not listed in the list of connected usb devices in "system information".

1 Kudo
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

@Ivan  any update on this? Because right now there is no reason to keep my stuff I payed 130 eur for, because I could do the same using a buddy pass from someone. My ccu and Controller are just paperweight which is a shame. 

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Bahlor If you think the controller is bricked, I think the best thing to do is to contact support and see if you can get a replacement

Go to the link below:

https://support.google.com/stadia#topic=9634925

On top right, click on 'Contact Us' > then request chat/callback to speak to a representative. Try it from a computer browser if the option is not shown on mobile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

I'm sorry I just realized you're also "only" a community member and not part of the support team. Thanks for your help.

@GraceFromGoogle @ChrisFromGoogle could anyone of you maybe help here? The contact page only shows that chat is not available... even though its within the opening hours. Thanks

0 Kudos
Community Member
Did you ever find a remedy, my controller is doing the same thing. Second time I tried to charge it it will not charge and it’s basically a brick.
0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

@Xinstorm Nope, it’s a brick. I only used the Controller twice. One time at home and one time I tried it at the office. Only transported it in its box, did. never fall down or anything, was barely touched. And yesterday when i wanted to try it again on my new tv, dead...no reaction anymore. Thought it was just the battery, but charging didn’t help and the led was also not active when charging. Tried a lot, nothing helped. Seems dead. This and the really hot CCU when using 4K leaves me very worried, I’m really frustrated and considering sending everything back 

0 Kudos
Community Member
I am really concerned to read this. This happened to my controller as well. Let's hope we all have controllers that were manufactured the same day/hour and this was some dumb fluke. I contacted support via Chat and they are taking care of me. I suggest you do the same. I had purchased 2 controllers. I hope this isn't widespread. By the way. My experience was exactly the same as yours, only I think I got many more hours of play time from mine before it died. I plugged it in one night, got the orange charging light and left it be. The next morning, the light was off. I unplugged it and tried to turn it on. Nothing! It is bricked.
0 Kudos
Community Member

So someone at Google shared this info with me.  My controller is working now!  

Procedure to reset:
1) Charge controller for at least 30 minutes by plugging it into the charger that came with the bundle. (Sounds like you've already done that.)
2) Unplug controller from everything (USB, headset)
3) Press and hold the Stadia button for more than 8 seconds, I usually count to ~12 to be on the safe side. Don't let go of the button until the time is up, no matter what the controller does.
5) Let go of the Stadia button
5) Press the Stadia button for >1 sec. to power it on.
6) If the controller turns on - yay! Game on 🙂
7) If the controller doesn't turn on - try the same procedure from step 2 again once or twice. If still not successful, continue working with customer service for a replacement device.

8 Kudos
Community Member

That worked for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Community Member

This worked for me, I was worried there for a hot minute.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly!

0 Kudos
Community Member

@TheRealAnorak thank you very much. That worked perfectly for me too!

0 Kudos
Community Member

worked for me as well, just had this issue and got quite concerned but luckily this fixed it right away, thank you!

0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

@TheRealAnorak My controller started charging again after 2 days of lying around. Don't know what it was but I believe it was stuck somehow and worked again because it completly discharged. Battery was totally empty when charging worked again. The controller had not reacted to any input. Also tried resetting it etc and kept it charging for hours and nothing happened (not even the logo started blinking, nothing)

0 Kudos
Community Member
This happened to me and I used the chat support. If holding the Google Assistant and Capture buttons for 10 seconds doesn't work, try pressing and holding the Stadia button. When I did this, the light went off. When I turned it back on again, everything was back to normal.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Worked for me as well. I thought the thing was dead. 

0 Kudos