cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Controller can't connect to Wi-Fi

Jump to solution
Anyone else having problems connecting your Stadia controller to Wi-Fi? The Stadia App will recognize my Controller, so when tryining to connect to Wi-Fi my Controller will vibrate. I confirm and then I will try to connect to my Wi-Fi, enter the password, but it won't connect. I already tried to - restart my phone - reset the Stadia Controller - restart my router - reset to router - reinstall the Stadia App I am running out of ideas what else to try. I didn't have any issues setting up the Chromecast.
7 Kudos
28 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I have the same issue however I always thought it was related to my Chromecast been connected directly to the ethernet and not the wifi.

Is are you connected using a ethernet wire to your Chromecast?

I collect Kudos for living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member
I can get my controller to connect to a wifi hotspot on my phone, but I can't connect to my wifi router at all. I've tried with all wireless security disabled. I've tried different wireless modes. Nothing seems to have any effect. I've ran the Stadia app for setup on multiple phones. Factory reset the controller multiple times. Nothing. Google's lack of error codes for this makes the problem extremely hard to pin down.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member
Chromecast is fine works great. Controller though won’t connect to WiFi. Everything else is fine with WiFi. 63 character PSK with two apostrophes. Logs says the controller doesn’t authenticate properly (e.g. has a buggy supplicant). What we really want to know is how do we get actual support. Feedback on the app and this community site does not work and the Google Support line say to wait to hear for updates. How on earth do we get an update on a controller that won’t connect in the first place?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi @metalshark , sorry you're one of us...

After the nth time (probably 20th), I managed to get a controller to connect. Not the other though. I opened a support case.

I suggest contacting Stadia Support, their chat is open 24/7. Good luck and keep us posted!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member
Support on Twitter are now responding. Did some diagnosis together. Length isn't an issue so: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890 works. Full stops (periods) aren't an issue so: full.stop works. Apostrophes are an issue (at least with the iOS app) so: one'apostrophe does not work. It's reported - have asked for a public ticket number/bug report/road map, if I receive one I'll post it here. From doing all of these tests this morning, for me, multiple attempts make no difference neither does manually selecting WPA, WPA TKIP, WPA2, WPA2 TKIP or WPA3 (this is a WPA2/3 network, but was asked to try WPA TKIP by support).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member
Worth noting that spaces in PSKs are also not an issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Google Stadia’s controller limited to alphanumeric only passwords apparently.
https://twitter.com/googlestadia/status/1202971650003615746?s=21

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

It seems that the problem was related to my Moto X Force smartphone, which was not able to connect the controller to my Wi-Fi. I have now tested it with a Pixel 3a XL and it did work on the first try.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have a similar problem with connecting the controller through my Pixel 4XL.

Worth noting that it's a controller I had previously connected to the same wifi without any problem in the past. Today after lending the stadia to a friend and changing my phone to the Pixel 4 XL, it's become totally impossible to connect it again...

0 Kudos