cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Controller can't connect to Wi-Fi

Jump to solution
Anyone else having problems connecting your Stadia controller to Wi-Fi? The Stadia App will recognize my Controller, so when tryining to connect to Wi-Fi my Controller will vibrate. I confirm and then I will try to connect to my Wi-Fi, enter the password, but it won't connect. I already tried to - restart my phone - reset the Stadia Controller - restart my router - reset to router - reinstall the Stadia App I am running out of ideas what else to try. I didn't have any issues setting up the Chromecast.
7 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

It seems that the problem was related to my Moto X Force smartphone, which was not able to connect the controller to my Wi-Fi. I have now tested it with a Pixel 3a XL and it did work on the first try.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member
yes I am having the exact same problem
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Same here.

Chromecast Ultra connects to WiFi fine, controller does not. Have WiFi 6 routers (AX, certified WiFi 6), logs show it authenticating with the wrong PSK. 100% using the right one. 63 character long PSK with two apostrophes in it. Where do I report the controller bug?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member
@GraceFromGoogle Mine won't connect either. The app sees both controllers. One shows charging, the other does not. As I step through the process, it says leveling up... Then states unable to connect to controller. Please tell me this is not a 2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz issue. I am running on a OnePlus phone and Google Mesh WiFi. Google Mesh WiFi supports both frequencies but the OnePlus will only connect to 5GHz. Do I have to have my phone on 2.4 GHz? Did Google send us 2.4 GHz? Unreal ..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I'm having the exact same issue. Strangely, I was able to connected it to the guest version of my network, but when I attempted to sync with the chromecast, I'm able to input and connect based on the pattern on the screen and the controller vibrates. I then get the same linking pattern to connect the controller, but it fails.

Ironically, I'm using Google WiFi.  So much for ecosystem compatibility.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Hey,

I've the same problem the Chromecast and all other devices like TV(Sony, Samsung) mobiles(IPhone, Huawei) are working fine.  

I've tested

Asus RT-AC86U Router - 2,4&5Ghz Wifi.

The problem here is the WPA 2 AES,  WPA AES/WPA AES+TKIP encryption. If you have a "open system"  the controller can connect. 

Fritz Powerline 1240E WLAN - WPA 2 is not working 

I assume it s a firmware problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member
Same here. I have tried both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and I copypasted the passwords. I even deleted those networks from my phone and pasted the passwords to make sure my phone could use them to connect to the network. My phone was able to but not my controller. I have tried many times, restarted the controller and did the factory reset holding both Capture and Assistant for 6 seconds while turned on.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I had the same problem. I don't know which of the following really worked.

• I erased the profile of the Chrome Cast Ultra from Google Home
  • Disconnect wired connection to Chrome Ultra and connected with wiress on Google Home app then made the profile again
  • I rebooted router, Chrome Cast Ultra, phone which I was using Google Home to connect
  • I connect the controller with the same wifi which Chrome Cast Ultra was connected

It finally worked at the end. 

I hope this helps.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member
I just tried with my 2nd controller. It managed to lose its connection to my phone while trying to connect to the WiFi. The other controller (the one that came with the Founder's Edition) also did that from time to time. I have my controllers right next to my phone. Perhaps my phone isn't good with Bluetooth? How can I confirm this? I created a guest 2GHz WiFi (no password), the controller didn't lose its connection with the phone but it couldn't connect to it either. I'm running out of ideas... How can I return my controllers?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

My controllers will not connect either.

0 Kudos