Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

Controller Noise

Jump to solution

Hey y'all,

I noticed my controller makes noise when it's plugged into my phone and is playing games. Up-close there is a constant white noise, kind of like a screeching or inner fan noise. Of course on phone, I'm always going to be close to the controller, so this is going to be an issue for me in the future.

I have it plugged into a USB-A to Micro-USB adapter to my phone. I run a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Has anyone else experienced white noise coming from their controllers?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Well, there is no fan in the controller.  You're probably hearing coil whine, and I suppose you must have fresh, young ears to be able to hear it unlike me.  Have you verified the noise is actually coming from inside the controller and not your adapter? 

In any case, coil whine happens to various degrees in all sorts of electronics and is generally not something you have to be concerned about other than the annoyance if you have really good hearing.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
2 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Well, there is no fan in the controller.  You're probably hearing coil whine, and I suppose you must have fresh, young ears to be able to hear it unlike me.  Have you verified the noise is actually coming from inside the controller and not your adapter? 

In any case, coil whine happens to various degrees in all sorts of electronics and is generally not something you have to be concerned about other than the annoyance if you have really good hearing.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

I hadn't thought about coil whine. I used to have that issue with an old Anker 3 port USB-A charger that would scream at me anytime I charged a Power Bank. I'll look into it the next time I use the controller, thanks for the heads up!

0 Kudos