cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia app for chromebooks?

Just wondering if there has been any word on a stadia app specific to chromebooks.

Rather than browser based, since most chromebooks now can run android apps. Is there any chance we will see a chromebook specific android app in the future?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Mask11424 Considering Google is actually in the process of removing support for Chrome apps, I really doubt we'll see any Stadia app.

The Stadia website is actually built as a Progressive Web App, so you can actually "install" the website as an app. Open stadia.google.com > click 3 dots on top right > click 'Open on Stadia'.

I'm curious of why you would want a native Stadia app though. Is there any particular reason?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hoping a mouse might bloody well work properly with an app rather than the chrome browser cos the mouse is hot garbage in destiny and metro on stadia

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Android apps actually run within a nested/containerized environment on Chrome OS; I'd think the added overhead would cause even worse jank than with a native web experience. 

Could you tell us a bit more about the mouse problems you're experiencing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Sure.

Ive tried mouse both on my pc, and my chromebook.

Pc is an i5-7400 , 8gb ram, gtx1060

Chromebook is a brand new asus c434 flipbook

Ive tried several different mice both wored and wireless (wireless being a razer atheris)

Ive tried every fix i could  find on reddit and elsewhere regarding pointer lock, mouse polling speed, cursor speed setting on chromebook, and all the hardware accelleration and other flags within chrome that everyone said to try.

The mouse response is either sluggish or extremely over sensitive.

Best way i can describe it is, when you are trying to be precise, for example aiming at something at a distance, your cursor/recticle feels like its dragging through water.

When your try snap turns. Like in destiny, a shotgun slide around a corner. If you try to mive your aim 30 degrees to the right as you slide around the corner it will over accellerate, and jump 90 degrees or more instead.

I can try and get some game footage i  private matches tonight and post them somewhere to show the difference if need be. 

Ive played destiny 2 on pc since forsaken came out. Im well used to how snappy and crisp and perfect aiming is on pc.

So its super disheartening to feel forced to use a controller because it responds better than a mouse and keyboard does.

By comparison both the stadia controller on wifi with ccu, or wired to the pc or chromebook. As well as a ps4 dualshock (bluetooth to pc) and wired to chromebook.they both respond flawlessly.

Especially when doing any pvp or pinnacle activities involving precision. (Crucible, gambit, raiding etc)

For just grinding strikes, or menagerie or general questing, meh whatever controller i can deal with. 

But one of the things that sold myself and many ithers on stadia was being able to use mouse as well if we so choose. Right now, there is no choice really.

I know a few that suck it up and deal with the crappy mosue response figuring it to be better overall than the controller. 

But with things like trials of osiris coming back, sure would be nice to use the product as advertised and be able to shoot properly with a mouse.

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I use Stadia for around 4-6 hours daily.
It is an amazing idea and movement to be apart of.

But i cannot stick with it forever. Next Google Datacenter is closer to my location than a NVIDIA GFN Datacenter (Just for comparison) and i have a higher "Input Lag" while using Stadia. It does not feel great, had to get used to the controller. Maybe someone who really plays games on mouse and keyboard should give Stadia a try and he will let it down almost immediatly in games like Destiny 2.
i have the personal feeling that the "Input Lag" does not come from real latency. Modifying some chrome://flags worked perfectly and improved my experience by alot. (Not even close to what i am experiencing on other platforms/services)

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

@codesplice replied a few days ago as in depth as i could. Hopefully that gives you a better idea

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Mask11424 Thanks for those details. I've done pretty much all of my Stadia gaming with the controller so I genuinely had no idea about the mouse issues so truly appreciate you sharing. 

Of course that also means I don't have any suggestions for addressing the problems. I suspect that some aspects related to mouse acceleration may be getting lost for some reason. Please continue using the in-app feedback option to report this directly to the Stadia devs so that they can focus on improving the experience.

In any case, I don't think that an Android app would help in this case since it would be just another abstraction layer to get in the way. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Mask11424  Interesting to see you have problems on both PC and a fairly new chromebook.  

For me, I have GREAT mouse aiming on my laptop (core i5) and terrible mouse aiming on my chromebook (Dell 11 3120 so quite old).  The mouse lag on the chromebook goes up considerably when I am also using the keyboard, so I wonder if it is a conflict in chrome about dealing with input.  Seems to affect some systems and not others, it is very odd.

On my laptop, this is when running through ethernet direct to the router, and with mouse acceleration turned off through chrome flags. Honestly, it is so snappy.

0 Kudos