cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why does no audio come through TV when I plug in a headet?

Jump to solution

I have searched and searched but can not find a way to get audio to come out of the TV speakers while I have a headset plugged in. The sounds will work on the headset, but nothing from TV. When I play on laptop with headset the sound doesn't come through headset and I hear my party member through the regular game audio (Borderlands 3).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is this normal, or is it resolvable? It's really annoying and takes the immersion right out of the game(s).

@GraceFromGoogle, please help!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @StellarSteve 

does your computer has also a combined headphone and mic jack as the Stadia controller has?

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

When you're on a PC, where the audio flows is dependent on your audio setup in the operating system.  In Windows you'll have default communication devices and default audio devices which can be separate things.  If both are set to the headset, you'll get the audio out of the headset and it will use the headset as the mic.  If you have separate speakers set to your default output device, the game audio will come out of that device.

When playing on CCU, as far as I know, whenever a headset (or earphones) is connected to the controller it mutes audio to CCU and all audio is directed to the controller and there is no way to override this like you can on PC.

1 Kudo
6 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @StellarSteve 

does your computer has also a combined headphone and mic jack as the Stadia controller has?

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Yes, I never even thought of that, though. I've been connecting it to the Stadia controller itself but it never crossed my mind of plugging it directly into laptop (2017 MacBook Air). I will experiment with that when I get the chance later.

Assuming that resolves the fix for playing on laptop, do you have any idea on how to get audio to play through TV when my headset is connected to the Stadia controller? I'm using the standard one-ear piece that came with the PS4 for reference. I'm in need of a proper headset but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options (I just want something affordable that has great quality/comfort and I don't care for the extra bells and whistles).

Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@StellarSteve agreed on headset overwhelming. I don't have anything and am not interested in much, would be great to just go to the Stadia store online and buy one from them that is tested to work well with it. @StadiaTeam missing an income opportunity here?

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

When you're on a PC, where the audio flows is dependent on your audio setup in the operating system.  In Windows you'll have default communication devices and default audio devices which can be separate things.  If both are set to the headset, you'll get the audio out of the headset and it will use the headset as the mic.  If you have separate speakers set to your default output device, the game audio will come out of that device.

When playing on CCU, as far as I know, whenever a headset (or earphones) is connected to the controller it mutes audio to CCU and all audio is directed to the controller and there is no way to override this like you can on PC.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Just wanted to update anyone who is interested; I followed advice given by @Tobonaut and plugged my headset directly into laptop instead of controller and that resolved my issue.

Thanks to everyone else who commented!

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@StellarSteve 

great to hear! Happy gaming buddy!

---
0 Kudos