Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Using existing Chromecast Ultra devices

Hi everybody,

A reminder that most existing (not-bundled) Chromecast devices will not support Stadia until they're updated over the next few weeks. You can check if your Chromecast Ultra can run Stadia by checking if it's running version 1.42.180348 or above. If your Chromecast is not on that version, attempting to play games on that Chromecast will fail until it receives the upcoming Stadia update. For now, we recommend using the Chromecast Ultra in your bundle to play.

14 Kudos
Highlighted
Dinn
Community Member

Someone on the Reddit group for Stadia mentioned he was able to update his CCU and play Stadia on it and left instructions on how to do so. I'm not endorsing doing it since idk if it's breaking any Google rules to do so. But I'm just saying it exists. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ivan Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Dinn The method is basically opting for the preview program. It's definitely not breaking any Google rules and safe to do so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HypeH
Community Member

Hi, I have the founders edition and just purchased a second chromecast ultra for downstairs. It’s currently in preview mode running 1.42.183786. This is a newer version than my Stadia CCU but I am unable to see the stadia controller code to link my controller. Can anyone provide any guidance? How can I play stadia on my second CCU? thanks, Alan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Grandmuscle
Community Member

Open the Google home app, go to your device and select it. In the upper right hand corner next to the gear wheel, select the three dots, select Ambient mode settings, scroll to bottom and select "show" under stadia controller linking code
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Quark
Community Member

Thanks for posting. I have the same problem. Given my TV configuration its not practical to move my Chromecast from room to room, hence the second CC Ultra

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SmittySon07
Community Member

Hello @GraceFromGoogle, I am looking for some guidance here. I bought and used The Founder’s edition in the USA. I have since moved to Germany (and travel a significant amount which is what interested me in Stadia). Unfortunately in the move I lost the Chromecast Ultra that was originally shipped to my USA address. Now that I am in Germany, which Chromecast Ultra should I be using? Is one even available seeing as I purchased the Founder’s Edition? Any direction, URL, and/or replacement help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos