Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Using existing Chromecast Ultra devices

Hi everybody,

A reminder that most existing (not-bundled) Chromecast devices will not support Stadia until they're updated over the next few weeks. You can check if your Chromecast Ultra can run Stadia by checking if it's running version 1.42.180348 or above. If your Chromecast is not on that version, attempting to play games on that Chromecast will fail until it receives the upcoming Stadia update. For now, we recommend using the Chromecast Ultra in your bundle to play.

14 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Using existing Chromecast Ultra devices

Hi everybody,

A reminder that most existing (not-bundled) Chromecast devices will not support Stadia until they're updated over the next few weeks. You can check if your Chromecast Ultra can run Stadia by checking if it's running version 1.42.180348 or above. If your Chromecast is not on that version, attempting to play games on that Chromecast will fail until it receives the upcoming Stadia update. For now, we recommend using the Chromecast Ultra in your bundle to play.

14 Kudos
Highlighted
Hyawatta
Community Member

Re: Using existing Chromecast Ultra devices

My existing Chromecast Ultra has the 1.42.18348 firmware on it, and I can confirm that it does play Stadia!
5 Kudos
Highlighted
Slink
Community Member

@Hyawatta, how did you get that version on a non-Founders Edition Chromecast? Are you using a preview build in settings?
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Hyawatta
Community Member

Yes, I turned on the option to receive the preview builds.

2 Kudos
Highlighted
nothinglasts
Community Member

Spent far too much time trying to play with my existing chromecast ultra. There should have been a warning in the box or have programmed into the app to run a check on the firmware version! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MochaDog
Community Member

For me it was the Chromecast version. Hope it fixes for the others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
neil_fifteen
Community Member

I did the same. I have 3 of them around the house and was losing my mind why it wasn't working. Haha.

Just releasing the update beforehand would have been good. Plus it would have been something to have done whilst waiting for launch.

Indeed, something in the app to identify the version and notify to say that it is before a specific version would have been nice.

Lessons learned..

1 Kudo
Highlighted
DramaLlama
Community Member

Is there a timeline for when we can expect other Chromecast devices to support Stadia, including Gen 2, 3, and those built in to Android TV?

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Grandmuscle
Community Member

Preview mode and reboot
2 Kudos
Highlighted
SecretCode
Community Member

Hey @GraceFromGoogle overheating seems to be developing into a huge issue with a few minutes of game play, locking, resetting, and persistently seems to be developing into something worse.

0 Kudos