cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Founder
Founder

Stadia on New Google TV Chromecast?

Jump to solution

Will the Stadia app be on the new google TV Chromecast? If so, when?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @RphelIV 

the app should be available in early 2021.

Please see https://twitter.com/googlestadia/status/1311367348767518720?s=21

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
7 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @RphelIV 

the app should be available in early 2021.

Please see https://twitter.com/googlestadia/status/1311367348767518720?s=21

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

"First half 2021" does not mean early 2021. It could be until mid-year.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

Still unbelievable that Stadia is not supported from the start. There is no better way to tell your target audience that you don't give a sh*t about Stadia.

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

People have reported that it "works" if you sideload the stadia app. Amazing it doesn't have support out of the box 🙄

0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

The new Chromecast doesn't even have Ethernet if I understand it correctly. Would be nice to have the most stable internet connection available when gaming. Wonder if the people who made the new Chromecast were ever aware about the existence of Stadia. Probably they found out a week before launch. 

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

That's a good point actually, according to the tec specs, the new chromecast only has "Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4 GHz/5 GHz)" and "Bluetooth®" available regarding the connectivity (see here).

I mean I don't know if there is any way to combine Ethernet with this, but it doesn't sound like this.

I think though the reason Stadia is not immediately available on the new chromecast is probably because there was either no time to do so or because of technical issues that needs to be fixed before allowing it. Might also be that Google wants to bring a specific new feature with the new chromecast, but it isn't ready yet. So before falling into assuming, I would just say let's see and hope that "first half of 2021" is correct for having Stadia on it. 😁

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

FYI there will be a power adapter sold for the new Chromecast that has Ethernet available, similar to what the CCU currently uses. I'm guessing the new Chromecast has better Wi-Fi so Ethernet is less necessary than on older hardware like the CCU.

1 Kudo