cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia Needs 5.1 Bitstream Audio Support for Optical Out TVs

In the Stadia menu it shows that I am getting 5.1 surround sound. However only 2.1 channels are active. I'm guessing it's because my older stereo only has Optical and analog in and my Sony Bravia TV only has optical out. Both XboxOne S and my PS4 Pro support Bitstream audio, hopefully Stadia will too someday. It is older tech however so it probably won't happen.

4 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Don't blame your setup. It's Stadia. I am in talks with support in Mountain View because of that, but don't expect anything great out of it. It's because they sending 5.1 PCM and assuming it works with TVs capable of eARC and Receivers able to process eARC, too. Both are supporting it in my setup, but it's still not working. So you can't be able to get 5.1 sound on your setup. You're right though with bitstream.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Google please give us b it stream so we don't have to invest in a completely new setup. I just got mine and it's a bummer I can't use stadia with it... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same problem here. Pity I will have to return my stadia...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

So... I won't be able to get 5.1 sound, If I only use optical setup. Right? Should I use HDMI ARC out in my TV? 🤔

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Why dont you use the search function? We have the thread with some answers here: https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-on-Chromecast/Having-issues-with-5-1-surround-sound/td-p/4269...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

In order for 5.1 to work with your setup @DaniGamePlayer , both your receiver / soundbar and your TV BOTH need to have eARC. This is relatively new technology. Unfortunately if you have a device older than about a year, you are out of luck. If either have the standard ARC, you will not get 5.1

1 Kudo