cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia 5.1 on Sonos Beam

Hi,

I am using a Sonos Beam as my only speaker for my TV. I am wondering if it i possible to output 5.1 sound through that? I just want to confirm that it doesn't because it is a single soundbar setup and not that I screwed up the setting.

Thanks!

Leon

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

You're not going to get 5.1 sound out of a single speaker. The numbers refer to five full-bandwidth speaker channels (typically front-left, front-right, rear-left, rear-right, and center) plus one low-frequency channel (a sub-woofer). 

Without any additional speakers, you'll only get 3.0 from the Beam (left, right, center).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I don't think the soundbar is able to reproduce 5.1 more likely 3.1 .  

Unless it has option for virtual 5.1 or some brands offer 7.1 virtual.    I looked for Sonos beam but couldn't find any information. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia only outputs in PCM 2.0 or 5.1 formats even though CCU supports Dolby Digital. 

Unless your tv has eARC it won't be able to pass through the PCM 5.1 signal to your beam. 

Even if it could, the Sonos beam only supports PCM 2.0 and Dolby digital so it still wouldn't work. 

I really hope Google updates to output in Dolby digital as that would solve the majority of people's issues with surround sound. 

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Agreed. Very disappointed. I play via CCU plugged into my AV receiver and I can't get 5.1 as the receiver doesn't support it over PCM. Literally everything else in the entire world uses DD for 5.1!

0 Kudos