cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Overall Quality on Chromecast Ultra (Founders Edition)

Jump to solution

I always seem to have some type of quality issue when playing.  Video/Audio chipping out, skipping, Controller stuck in one direction, etc.   When I do not see these issues, I cannot complain! Love Stadia!!!

When I see these issues, I'll monitor my Google WiFi app and verify my network speed and see my Download is at 35+ (even up in the 50's) and my Upload around 1+. (Perfect for Stadia)

*Update: I was watching closer tonight as I had issues and I noticed the download drop between 22-28 and then back to 35+.  Also watching the Google WiFi app and the overall download was less than 80 (out of 1000)

Here is my set up, hoping someone can see something and point it out - Thanks in advance!

(Yes, I have power cycled everything, Modem, Google WiFi Hubs, TV, Chromecast)

• ISP 1k Down and 35 Up
  • Google WiFi 2nd Gen - Per Google/Stadia support, DNS = 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • Google WiFi App - Setting My Chromecast Ultra as "Priority" Device
  • Sony 4K TV - HDMI with HDR enabled (even tried with HDR turned off and different HMDI Ports)
  • Games = FF15, Red Dead2, All Tomb Raiders (plus the free Pro games)
  • Stadia App settings
    • Best visual quality (4K 20 GB/hr)
    • HDR = enabled
  • Always submit feedback to Stadia (when asked) 

Basically running at the best that I can in my environment.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I'm still having quality issues, which makes Doom almost impossible!!! hahaha

What is the best/for sure way to force/lock Stadia to 1080P on my Chromecast?  I would like to try that for a while.... 😞 

Is it just opening the App --> settings --> Data usage & Performance --> selecting "Balanced"?  (under Display I'm leaving HDR turn on) 

Also, I will look into getting a BFC and see if attaching an ethernet cable to my Chromecast for a makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@GTSGameover wrote:

What is the best/for sure way to force/lock Stadia to 1080P on my Chromecast?  I would like to try that for a while.... 😞 

Is it just opening the App --> settings --> Data usage & Performance --> selecting "Balanced"?  (under Display I'm leaving HDR turn on) 

Yep, that should do it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Okay i'm at a lost...  Still having freezing, skipping, blurriness with 1080P and HDR turned off.  Watching the data stream to my Chromecast (Google WiFi app), a solid 15-25 when on 1080P and 30-35+ when on 4K.  It seem that the Chromecast / Google WiFi (Gen 2) cannot handle the Stadia stream requirements.  

Additional Testing (Turning 4k and HDR back on):

I powered off my Google WiFi Hub - so I'm directly connecting to the Google Main (eliminating the hop).  My Connect was 30-35 with very little issues.  (Now I'm thinking it is the wireless/1 hop to the internet) 

I powered the Hub back one (adding the 1 hop) - My connection was 30-42+, I've seen 52! (constantly better than Google Main) but I had more issues...  

Both testing were 100% better than before... thinking about that... it comes to the "Time of Day".   Afternoon/Evening vs Morning.  

If this the helps anyone else - My suggestion is connect to the Google Main vs one of the Hubs and the time of day will help have a better experience with Stadia.

I'm still working on getting the BFC so I can connect the Chromecast with cable.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Sorry forgot to reply/update... too busy playing Stadia.

After connecting a cable (no longer wireless), all my problems went away.  until something changes, my recommendation is connect to a Ethernet cable when playing Staida.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@GTSGameover wrote:

Sorry forgot to reply/update... too busy playing Stadia.

Ha, no worries! I know that feel.

I'm glad to hear that switching to a wired connection fixed your issues. Thanks for reporting back!

0 Kudos