cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to get 5.1 Sound with non-hdcp 2.2 TV?

My TV is a 2014 1080p plasma (panasonic gt60) I don't think it supports HCP2.2 or other 4k stuff.

My 7.1 receiver is a Yamaha 581 and supports 4k and hdcp2.2 I think.

How do I get 5.1 surround working?

I've tried 3 setups: chromecast in receiver , TV on HDMI-OUT of receiver
-> This results in an HDCP 2.2 error, no picture

Chromecast directly on TV, receiver on TV through ARC
-> This results in 2.0 PCM audio

Chromecast directly on TV, receiver on TV through optical
-> This results in 2.0 PCM audio

How to get 5.1 output from stadia??? My PS4 PRO outputs 7.1PCM in the first situation and 5.1 DTS in the two/three.

UPDATE:

Got it to work for now. Somehow the HDCP 2.2 error shows up after the CC ultra first boots. Turning the TV and receiver on and off again results in a nice 1080p image plus PCM 5.1 audio.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Help me out? Also only getting 2ch sound from Chromecast ultra plugged into Sony Bravia TV. Then optical to receiver. PS Pro worked great Any ideas how to fix?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

What kind of 5.1 device do you have? Does it support HDMI in? Only solution I can give is to plug the chromecast in the HDMI-in of your 5.1 receiver. Or maybe there are converter devices that can convert a HDMI 5.1 PCM signal into 5.1 Dolby digital over optical. The PS4(pro) is capable of transcoding the audio signal into DTS/DD on the fly and send this over the HDMI link. Your TV can then extract this signal and output it over optical (Most TV's support this). Stadia does not seem to have this functionality. It outputs the audio in 5.1 PCM (uncompressed). This does not fit in the bandwidth of the optical audio and the TV only forwards the 2.0 stereo sound.
0 Kudos