cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Amphoterism
Community Member

Having issues with 5.1 surround sound

On other apps connected to my TV I'm able to use eArc and output Dolby Digital surround sound on my receiver. If I cast to my Chromecast I'm able to get it to output Dolby Digital. However when playing a stadia game on my Chromecast, it only outputs stereo. I have gigabit internet, but in the connection tab, I'm only seeing 4k & HDR. There is no icon for 5.1. Do I need to enable this somewhere? Plugging into my receiver yields the same results. Stereo only.
7 Kudos
Highlighted
Amphoterism
Community Member

Yep I completely agree with you. When this thing goes mainstream, they are going to get inundated with support calls asking why this isnt working.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JRVyse
Community Member

Add me to the list of people where 5.1 is not working.  I have the CC ultra plugged in to an HDMI switcher with digital optical output.  I need this for my old but still good soundbar.  Other systems - PS4Pro, XBox One X both output bitstream 5.1 great.  I can get 5.1 to output from the CC when playing Google Play movies no problem.  Netflix or Stadia are only 2.0.

Hope this gets fixed soon, I otherwise love Stadia.  This will keep me from using it though for new releases.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Shen
Community Member

I have this issue but not constantly.
I have the CC connected to my Onkyo receiver which is connected to my LG B8 TV.
I can detect the input stream from the chromecast through the on-screen display of my receiver.

I've noticed that sometimes, when starting a new session of Stadia and then starting a new game, I will get a 2.0 PCM stream even though my connection is Excellent and shows 4K 5.1.
I can cast Netflix at those instances and receive a 5.1 input stream on my receiver.

Shutting down and restarting Stadia doesn't solve it BUT the solution which works every time is REBOOTING the chromecast through its settings in the Google Home app on my phone. That solves the problem for me but of course it is very annoying as it seems like every other session I have to restart the chromecast in order to receive a proper 5.1 PCM input stream.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mld
Community Member

Same issue here. Stadia support say it's my TV at fault, my 2019, 4K TV Dolby with Atmos and every other feature you could imagine. However, every other 5.1 surround source such as xbox one and firetv works fine (passes 5.1 surround to av receiver)plugged onto same hdmi that the chromecast used.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mld
Community Member

Google support told me it will only work if plugged directly into TV. They also told me they had not heard of any one else having the issue!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mnordstr
Community Member

Same issue here.

I have to restart the Chromecast, then I get 5.1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lee__Hazelwood
Community Member

Getting the same here. 5.1 with prime, Netflix and Google play movies. Just stereo on stadia. Excellent network condition so no reason I shouldn't. I DM'd the Stadia team and go no reply.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Amphoterism
Community Member

Yes, very frustrating. This is literally one of the top issues on this community forum, yet NOBODY from Google has responded or given an update. They want us to pay for pro, but instead of getting what they promise, we get upscaled 4k and stereo sound. Man, makes me really want to stay subscribed. @GraceFromGoogle @ChrisFromGoogle 

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Lethian
Community Member

Same issue here. I'm connected to my TV with a digital optical cable and my TV does support native app 5.1 support for apps like Netflix with no problem. With the Chromecast and stadia the sound is only simulated with Dolby Pro Logic II meaning that it's getting a stereo signal and not the true 5.1...stadia does not support Dolby surround at this point due to not having a license? The Teufel Concept E Digital Im using doesn't have an HDMI input so I can only use the optical digital cable and there's no plugging in the Chromecast directly.

I hope they add Dolby surround sound soon. At launch they said 5.1 support and just supporting the free non licensed codec of lpcm/pcm is not cool, Google. At least allow Bitstream like other consoles do - my TV should be able to handle that since there's an option for it as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lee__Hazelwood
Community Member

I got a reply from the stadia team. It was useless. Try and use HDMI ARC. I tell them I'm unable to due to lack of free ports. They tell me to give it a crack anyway. So instead of fixing the issue with optical 5.1 we are just gonna ignore it and fine a workaround. Which will screw with my set up. No ta.
0 Kudos