cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Amphoterism
Community Member

Having issues with 5.1 surround sound

On other apps connected to my TV I'm able to use eArc and output Dolby Digital surround sound on my receiver. If I cast to my Chromecast I'm able to get it to output Dolby Digital. However when playing a stadia game on my Chromecast, it only outputs stereo. I have gigabit internet, but in the connection tab, I'm only seeing 4k & HDR. There is no icon for 5.1. Do I need to enable this somewhere? Plugging into my receiver yields the same results. Stereo only.
7 Kudos
Highlighted
hamsta
Community Member

I have the same issue here. HDMI ARC as well as optical sound from TV to receiver results in no 5.1 sound.

If Netflix is steamed using the new Chromecast Ultra, 5.1 sound is working as expected.

Resetting the Chromecast Ultra to factory defaults like proposed in one comment did not help here ☹️

What can I do to make things work like expected with the Pro account?

1 Kudo
Highlighted
lujop
Community Member

It will be nice also an option to output DD+ or DD for people who have a device that is not able to downcast
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Amphoterism
Community Member

Unfortunately not getting any official help from Google here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
hamsta
Community Member

Hi,

any news on it? It it's really disappointing when a feature we have paid for is not working at all.

Is 5.1 surround sound with Chromecast working for anybody here?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rosiv
Community Member

Yes it is. But you have to plug in your ChromeCast into your Receiver. For me it works, although my receiver does NOT recognize my ChromeCast and I have to manually switch inputs when starting Stadia. ChromeCast Ultra is simply not saying "Hello" to my Receiver. My TV has the same problem, but there selecting HDMI3 is much more convinient than switching to my receiver und switching inputs there...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Amphoterism
Community Member

Streaming literally anything else on my Chromecast I can get 5.1. With stadia I'm out of luck... They don't want to address it either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rosiv
Community Member

You have to plug you ChromeCast into your receiver. Even though my TV supports eARC (as it has HDMI2.1 already) and my Receiver does, too, I can't get 5.1 sound when plugged into my TV. When I plugged it into my receiver, it worked. So YES, it IS a problem on Stadia side. But NO, you won't get - for now - 5.1 if plugged into a TV.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Amphoterism
Community Member

For me personally it doesn't work if I plug it into my receiver either (I have a 2019 Denon Receiver). However, that's the problem. This thing is just supposed to work when it's plugged in. We're all tech nerds and that's why we are in early. I would say the majority of the people that are founders have more technical know-how than the average consumer. When this goes mainstream and your average consumer can't get it to work, they will be upset and spread word that it doesn't work. Really hope this is something that gets fixed because it's very clear that it ONLY doesn't work with stadia and it's not the Chromecast.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Rosiv
Community Member

Ok, good point, the tech related point of view.
@GraceFromGooglemaybe you could forward this thought.

I am QA for myself, and I run into some "conditions" I would have figured out before.
Of course, developing a product makes you blind on some places, but at least I would have checked 5.1 passthrough on the most common 20 TVs, and at least from every major company.

It does not make sense, to know, that Netflix runs with 5.1 and Dolby Vision on ChromeCast Ultra, but Stadia lacks color in HDR (Destiny2) and has only 2.0 passthrough.
To expect people to be able to have 5.1 PCM over eARC is also not a good point.

For me, I have a TV with HDMI 2.1 already, manufactured in August.
My Receiver (Yamaha RX-V685) has also eARC enabled already.
I list these points, as in your FAQ is mentioned, that it will work with 5.1 Sound when your TV supports eARC.
But it does not. Besides, only few TVs out there are supporting eARC.
This was a wrong approach from start. Go and broadcast Dolby Sound, and everyone will be fine.

Yes, also google because more paying customers will balance the more costs for Dolby Licences.
If Netflix can do DD+ in a 4K stream, I guess Google can, too.

BTW... I now recognize that ChromeCast Ultra was not able to broadcast Dolby Atmos, but my TV is? Interesting.... Tested with 2nd season of Punisher. My TV played with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, but Chromecast only showed DD+ in my receiver and no DD+/ATMOS. Might be a hardware issue.

Anyway: @Amphoterism is right: If casual users will struggle here, thers a huge #**bleep**storm incoming!

1 Kudo
Highlighted
JordanRobert
Community Member

I'm having the same problem, no 5.1 Surround Sound output. I have Sony X900E using ARC to my Onkyo Reciever. I have Dolby Digital Plus Bitsream enabled on my TV, and no so surround output.
0 Kudos