cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Having issues with 5.1 surround sound

On other apps connected to my TV I'm able to use eArc and output Dolby Digital surround sound on my receiver. If I cast to my Chromecast I'm able to get it to output Dolby Digital. However when playing a stadia game on my Chromecast, it only outputs stereo. I have gigabit internet, but in the connection tab, I'm only seeing 4k & HDR. There is no icon for 5.1. Do I need to enable this somewhere? Plugging into my receiver yields the same results. Stereo only.
8 Kudos
70 Replies
Community Member

Same problem here. Having tons of things working on 5.1 (PS4, Xbox, Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.), Stadia is the only thing that does not work. So to me it will be much cheaper buying a PS5 than replacing TV, receiver, etc.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Yeah as you can see, I first opened this topic at the release of the founders edition. Almost a year later there still has been no official response even though it is one of the most commented topics in the "Stadia on Chromecast" thread. Really unfortunate. There has been no help on this topic at all. @GraceFromGoogle @ChrisFromGoogle 

1 Kudo
Community Member

Had the same problem to start with.

Bought this year's Samsung 65" 4k TV. Then I got Stadia. No 4k, no HDR. Checking it out, I totally forgot it was still using HDMI 1.4 cable.

Installed 2.1 8k cable for overkill - still nothing. Well, my Denon was about 8 years old so was thinking about upgrading anyway, and bought a new Denon.

Set it up & tried again. Yep, 4k was there but, no HDR. Set the Denon to Pure Direct for the CC port and, bingo! HDR available. OMG! What a difference. Looks absolutely gorgeous.

No sign of 5.1 setting anywhere but, it's definitely outputting it. Well happy now. 🙂

Oh and yes, both TV and Denon have eARC.

0 Kudos
Community Member

You can add me to the list of dissatisfied customers. My CCU is plugged into my Yamaha receiver and I only get a 2.0 PCM signal. Every other device (Xbox/BluRay/Sky etc) sends 5.1 to my receiver with no issues. In fact the CCU does so as well when watching movies. Does one really have to have an almost brand new receiver to get 5.1 out of this thing?!

I checked the manual for my receiver and it does say it support multichannel linear PCM too, which I assume means more than two channels.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Lack of response is shocking, especially after I've drawn their attention to it multiple times in interactions on the phone and during DM on twitter. They say they are looking into it but I think just actually ignorantly saying that and don't understand what the issue is. They compensated me for poor service in handling my query but have still failed to answer it sufficiently.

I'm usually a big Google fan, in comparison to other solutions but just think in this case they have really let people down.

Come on @GraceFromGoogle give us a full and complete explanation of what "looking into this" means in terms of the future comparability for people who have this issue.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Perhaps I'm lucky that it works, it also works on a soundbar I have from 2012 so I'm still not clear on whether if using a receiver you just need something that decodes PCM with ARC pass through (as it definitely isn't eARC) and  you need eARC if plugging directly into the TV. Google just need to be clear that's what's needed, it's their reputation and PS5 etc is just around the corner. What's the point in avoiding it? They could just say it on their website and print it on the box and in the instructions. I think Stadia is impressive now it's working but I'm probably lucky it does. It was nearly sent back on the day of arrival (had I found out where to send it) and payment on credit card disputed if need be but happily all ok now- with one quirk that sometimes needs the Chromecast to be unplugged then plugged back in to get 5.1, why, I have no idea.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I just tested on the computer and if I have 5.1 and it works well, but in the CCU it doesn't ... We are in the same if the TV or the amplifier does not accept LPCM we don't have 5.1, it would be solved quickly if they put dolby audio but Google doesn't want to pay license in the same style as Nintendo swich

0 Kudos
Community Member

Yep... I'm in the boat where I have a 4K but my receiver doesn't have eARC so no 5.1 for me. If I plug into my receiver, I get 5.1 but no 4K. It's unfortunate to have to pick between one or the other. I can spend $$$ on a new receiver but at this point literally the only thing in my set-up that doesn't get 5.1 is Stadia. I get 5.1 with Netflix on my CCU... but not stadia. I can't see me spending $$$ on a new receiver when the whole point of stadia was to not drop $500. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

Any news about 5.1 sound on ccu?!?!

New patch:

5.1 surround sound on web -- We’ve added support for 5.1 surround sound when playing games on web

And sound 5.1 on ccu!?

0 Kudos
Community Member

There is 5.1 sound on CCU. However you have to have a receiver that supports Lpcm. If your Chromecast is connected to your TV both your TV and receiver have to have eArc in order to get 5.1 surround sound. For some reason they don't use Dolby

1 Kudo
Community Member

Hi Amphoterism, ty for your reply

I've changed the hdmi port on my receiver...dont'ask me why but now it works! Ty 

0 Kudos
Community Member

same with me here, i only get Stereo on my Sony 91 Headphones... It has separat LEDs for Stereo or Multi Channel input ..... On other apps Inputs it works fine, it only wont work with Stadia. I am using a high end lg oled, sony 9.1 Headphones and a Chromecast on wifi.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Same problem here.

CCU connected to the ONKYO amplifier.

PCM 2.0 with Stadia.

DD 5.1 with Amazon Prime ...

In the Stadia connections menu i see the 5.1 logo, but it's just a logo!

This is the answer received from the Stadia Team:
"After some checks we realized that you are not the only one having this kind of problem and our developers are already working on it. As soon as we have news, we will update you. Thanks for your patience"

0 Kudos
Community Member

Customer service have offered me £25 play credit as compensation for their poor customer service on this. At one stage they emailed to say they had a solution and when I called they didn't. I've gone back and said £50 Google store credit would be more appropriate. However, if this isn't resolved I will be returning my founders edition, and additional controller. At the end of the day, 5.1 is a pretty minimum requirement and if they can't provide something that was promised would be there at launch then I have little faith in the future of Stadia. I suggest everyone contacts customer service to ask for compensation in the meantime
0 Kudos
Community Member

It's been 3 weeks I've got the sound in game on PCM 2.0.
My Chromecast Ultra is plugging on my amplifier Pioneer.
I posted a message on this forum 3 weeks ago (page number 3)

"Same problem, I've got the first edition I plug directly on my amp Pioneer lx 701 the sound is on 2.0. Like someone else said, I cast a Netflix movie 5.1, get back on Stadia the sound appear on MultiPCM 5.1"

Today, I call the Stadia support in France,
-he doesn't know this problem. He told me to plug the Chromecast on my TV directly and be sure the TV can manage the 5.1
-I can't and I don't want to plug on the TV, I explained if I cast a Netflix movie 5.1, get back on Stadia and that work.

-He asked me to maybe send him a video of that with my AV and TV model to send it for the US.

I launching Stadia, do other thing at the same time. At one moment I was disconnected and needed to re-add my Stadia account to the Chromecast.

And now I really don't know why all works well..  the Stadia menu is on 2.0 and if I lauching a game the AV switch automaticaly to the multi PCM 5.1.

I reboot a lot of times, unplug, plug, that works perfectly.

My setup:

- TV Panasonic 50CX680E (HDMI 2.0 without HDR)

-AV Pioneer SC-LX701

0 Kudos
Community Member

Interesting that it just started to work for you after simply pluging and unplugging multiple times and then readding your account. I will see if there is a way to unlink my stadia account and then add it again.

Side note, I did get £50 compensation but as credit for play store. I will take it, get a couple more games.

I just wish there was some clear indication from Google that they know about this issue centrally and are doing something about it.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Disconnecting, reconnecting, and relinking stadia to Chromecast didn't work.

Have tried approaching Stadia team on Twitter https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1208715648110485509?s=19

0 Kudos
Community Member

@SamG try to delete the CCU from Google home and add it again.

I still do not understand why that work for me now.

What is your setup audio video devices?

0 Kudos
Community Member

Same problem here. Just had a chat with the stadia support. The kind gentleman on the other end said that I need to have both my TV and receiver supporting eARC to have 5.1. Everything else works fine (prime, netflix, even casting to CCU outputs 5.1). Unfortunately I will return my order and cancel my subscription if this is not resolved soon.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I have found and tested a solution:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K5RKQB7/

Plug the CCU into this device, send the picture to TV on one HDMI cable, and to receiver on the other.

This splitter can handle splitting into two stream of different resolution so TV will still be 4k even if receiver is 1080. Upon starting stadia you might have to tinker a little if it doesn't give you sound. I cast Netflix and make sure I have the right audio output selected on the receiver, then quit Netflix and start stadia.

Other than this annoyance, the only other downside is that it doesn't seem to do HDR now. Even when casting a Netflix HDR title through the splitter I don't get HDR.

Clearly, until Stadia supports compressed multi channel audio for backwards compatibility with non-eARC devices there will be issues.

I really don't understand why they chose not to. Licencing cost probably, but since eARC is only really a thing this year I very much doubt there are many people at all who have both eARC TV and eARC receiver.

1 Kudo