cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

HDR way too dark?

Is HDR too dark for anyone else? On destiny it's unplayable. I have messed with the in-game brightness settings and I can't seem to fix it. Its not the TV settings as my ps4 pro doesn't have this issue on the same game with the same settings (game settings and TV settings)
2 Kudos
11 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

I personally haven't found this to be a problem, it looks alright to me compared to HDR on my TV from my gaming PC. Since you're using a different input for the Chromecast than you had for your console check your TV settings for that specific input to ensure that "enhanced" HDMI is turned on as sometimes this has to be enabled. Also, many TVs only have one or two specific inputs that even support HDR properly especially models from a couple years ago. Check your TV documentation and/or move the Chromecast to the same input you have your console on and then re-test.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Destiny 2 has a problem with the implementation of HDR. Don’t know what Bungie did to screw up HDR but it’s the same on PlayStation and Xbox also. I play Destiny 2 on my Playstation as well and have turned HDR off in the Destiny 2 settings. I turn off HDR in the stadia app before I play D2 on Stadia.

if you search on Internet you can find a lot of videos and posts about it. I hope Bungie will fix this bad HDR implementation but since it’s been reported multiple times and for a long while, I have low hope for them actually will do anything about it. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

I wanted to write the same answer. Is destiny 2. I remember that Problem on PC in the past. Try shadow of the Tomb Raider. It has excellent hdr and it's a lot brighter overall. Your stadia and setup is fine. It's destiny!

0 Kudos
Community Member

I had the same issue but it’s my hdr tv that is the reason it’s allways been like that with Netflix etc

0 Kudos
Community Member

If it’s too dark on all your HDR media, why don’t you just adjust your sett kings on the Tv? Picture calibration is always important and there is a lot of different tools to help you with that. But for us that are having problem with HDR in Destiny 2, all other games and movies look good and therefore change settings in the Tv wold ruin for the games and movies that have a correct implementation of HDR.
0 Kudos
Community Member

No joke on the darkness! Wth??? Will test by turning off HDR. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Community Member

Mine is the same since the start....so dark with Destiny 2 on stadia, whereas on my PS4...I need sun glasses to shield my eyes as the loading screen is so bright...same Tv. Tried turning of hdr as per messages above but it hasn’t improved. Can only hope Bungie fix this quick...otherwise I’m sticking with PS4 for this game.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Fluffy - it made a huge difference for me.  Are you sure you turned it off before the game started, not during?

0 Kudos
Community Member

HDR is always wrong for me. I have to restart the TV once a HDR stream starts to even get the TV to recognize the new stream settings, never had this problem with other apps like netflix.

Shadows of Tomb Raider: Most acceptable with a calibration tool that tells me to slide until the box is white: Fires at daylight look really crappy, everything else is actually fine.

Destiny: Cant get it to stream HDR.

AC:O has settings for HDR that I cant comprehend. Am I supposed to look at the pillar until it gets "white"? Like, what does paperwhite and clouds on a pillar mean, that thing is so small I can barely notice any changes anyway and the clouds are either there or.... something?

For me the whole Chromecast thing needs a standardized method to calibrate and check HDR and games should respect that setting.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I agree, Tabe. Similar to switching Game Mode on as Stadia boots. Technically there's a Google Home setting for it, but it does not work as intended. PlayStation does it well automatically for me...Stadia, not yet. I want an auto test of Stadia settings within the Chrome browser too. End users should not have have fiddle endlessly to get the best experience.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I had the same problem, and I was finally able to fix it this weekend. The most important thing in my case was understanding that the reference images in the HDR brightness settings are completely wrong. Those images would have me maxing both settings, and that made the game look terrible. Based on an old tip for the console version, I opened the game settings in non-HDR on a chromebook and set the non-HDR brightness to max, then I went back to the HDR settings and reset those to the defaults. I'm not sure both of those things are necessary, but that's what I did and the game looks amazing now.

0 Kudos