cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Chromecast wifi connection

I'm having a problem with the Chromecast ultra provided with my stadia. It connects to my wifi at setup and then will eventually start looping between connected and trying to connect to my wifi, this issue appears quicker if I use it to cast something.

Once connected to the wifi the wifi name only shows on the ambient screen for a minute or so before disappearing. The signal is good when it does show and no issue with a normal Chromecast in the same tv.

Stadia works fine on laptop, and the Chromecast crashes whatever I try and cast sometimes before I have even cast to it.

Anybody had similar issues, is this interference or just a faulty Chromecast ultra? It does get very hot.

Any help appreciated

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Member

@Cecil : I'd recommend a factory reset to default of your CCU and try again.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6254654?hl=en-GB 

It's certainly quite normal for the ultras to get really quite hot, and the longer they are used with Stadia running the hotter they'll get.  There were some reports for a while about them getting too hot, but we've not yet had any issues although I know that it is still quite hot all the same.

If you still get no success after a factory reset then I would raise a case with the support folks and see what their recommendation would be, it could be a fault, but they would have a process to follow through to check out everything.

If you're still stuck feel free to call out again.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Sorry meant to say in the initial post I have tried numerous factory resets and no change. Was hoping somebody had a similar issues and fixed it with some router settings or something similar. I already logged a call on the Chromecast support but they weren't very helpful.
0 Kudos
Community Member

@Cecil :

Have you taken a look at the following post and checked to see if anything helps there any?

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Network-Connectivity/Troubleshooting-connection-and-stream-quality-i... 

My ISP is Virgin and I've connected to their Super Hub router which thankfully provides some Ethernet ports and 5Ghz WiFi, so I was able to use a wired connection from the CCU directly to the hub and setup the controllers on the 5Ghz WiFi.   I didn't have to setup anything else to get things running, but of course every ISP has a different setup and so forth, so not very helpful for you unfortunately.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Mad_Dog_Bravo thanks for trying to help, I can't connect to Ethernet as my router/master socket is too far away from tv. So I know I haven't got ideal conditions but a normal Chromecast worked so can't understand why the ultra didn't work. 

I have seen the article you linked too but nothing has worked so far.

Appreciate your help 👍

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Cecil : Maybe you can extend the distance for a cable using a small unmanaged switch they're cheap enough these days, I saw a 5 port 10/100 for less than £10, and 5 port GigE for under £15, as you only need fast ethernet (100Mbps ports) for Stadia as there isn't enough traffic being sent to saturate a link.  That might be one possible option if you are able to run cable far enough?  

But that doesn't really explain it for why the CCU fails when a regular one works....

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Mad_Dog_Bravo  i have been looking into a few things, going to try and get my hands on an Ethernet cable to check that it will work as a wired connection and that the chromecast ultra isn't completely faulty and then i might get a WiFi mesh, and put one of the hubs close to my TV so i can wire the chromecast ultra. I don't really want cables running everywhere so a WiFi mesh seems the better long term option from what i have read and cheaper than getting my phone line connection point moved into my living room. Appreciate all your responses and suggestions.

Although Stadia works fine on my chromebook i really want to be able to play on my TV.

0 Kudos