cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Chromecast ultra burning hot to the touch

My brand new chrome cast that came with my stadia is burning hot to the touch. Also... I think it’s overheating and causing the random disconnects. Anybody experiencing this issue?
4 Kudos
14 Replies
Community Member

Yup, but google claims they've done tons of testing and they have not experience any heating issues, it's the answer they gave on reddit but there is a lot of people getting literally burnt by this.

https://www.amazon.com/Stream-Cooler-Round-Stuttering-overheating/dp/B076DN1WX8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=...    that is the current solution since it appears its our fault and no googles in giving us something that has for years had issues with  becoming lava.

Gaming excessive and long game sessions is going to toast some chromecast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB4UldlJPFw&feature=youtu.be he opens up the inside of it and you can see why a few of them are having issues.

take note he replaced the thermal compound

4 Kudos
Community Member

I'm not sure why there aren't more responses to this thread.  This wasn't something i was aware of but after hearing of this, I walked over to the chromecast just to check on it and it was HOT man....Like super hot.  My gameplay didn't stop.  I had played for about 3 or 4 hours straight and that thing was scalding.  I guess as long as it doesn't burn out or catch my apartment on fire, I don't care. lol

3 Kudos
Community Member

you'll find a scripted response a lot of users are using on reddit, "it's fine so and so is made to be under immense heat, touching it will be hot but everything is fine". I just roll my eyes to that response because anyone knows with long sessions of gaming a repeated gaming that the heat is going to eventually become an issue. It'll cause resetting, freezing, and more simply replacing it with another chromecast won't do anything either since it's a design flaw google refuses to change.

one search about chromecast and you'll see this issue has been something that has been talked about for years now and the only solution you'd get? is from other users posting MODs. it's flipping crazy how they are brushing this off.

2 Kudos
Community Member

I can't touch my Chromecast after an hour of gaming, but I'm not experiencing rebooting issues at all...

2 Kudos
Community Member

Mine also is scalding hot. I have experienced frequent controller disconnects.

2 Kudos
Community Member

Controller disconnects for me too..... I think it's a wifi problem. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

77'C after an hour playing on Destiny 2 at 4K. CCU supplied with Stadia. No shutdown issues so far

flir_20191128T174001.jpg

1 Kudo
Community Member

that is a great test you should see how high it goes after 5 hours which is the usual burnout time people say they experience the worse stuff

4 Kudos
Community Member

My Chromecast is also getting extremely hot. I haven't had any crashes or connection problems yet. But now I'm worried that the heat won't do the OLed TV and/or the HDMI ports any good.

0 Kudos
Community Member

My CCU would overheat and freeze between 30 mins and 1 hour. This was over WiFi. After I connected it direct to ethernet mine still gets hot too but no longer freezes. I only tested it for 2 hours though. Pretty ridiculous and very disappointing. They should've taken extra time and made sure their product actually worked before releasing it.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Mine gets ridiculously hot too.... but I found it's not just when playing, it's when its plugged in...so I dont think it has to do with stadia I think it has to do with the power supply etc....they need to put a fan or something in it hahaha

0 Kudos
Community Member

I also had these issues and even freezes when playing. But as soon as i switched the Chromecast from WiFi to Ethernet Stadia runs stable, but the Chromecast is still hot.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Ah that's a good point, my measurement was taken while playing over Ethernet

1 Kudo
Community Member

I see that Xbox one x could be 70c/157f behind where the vent is and that is normal.

I have seen this overheat discussion around now about the cromecast ultra, is it a problem with all cromecast or is it normal?

How hot could it be before it start to cause damage? Having a stadia premiere edition on the way and i cant wait to try it out 🙂

0 Kudos