cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Member

Chromecast gets hot ๐Ÿ”ฅ when TV is stand-by

Hi, I have a Samsung QE43Q60R. I have already read that the Chromecast 3 gets quite hot when playing Stadia, but when I stop playing and shut the TV off the Chromecast still stays hot. And is still using power all day and night... As there is no power button on the Chromecast I disconnect the power cable every time... Anyone with the same problem? Why is the Chromecast still powered when I shut down the TV.

1 Kudo
4 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hello @sulphurtx 

The Chromecast Ultra does run hot. When it isn't doing anything else, it will (by default) be in "Ambient" mode, which you can configure from the Google Home app. You could try disabling it entirely, or just change the slideshow speed to 10 minutes instead of something faster. Just a note, though, that if you disable Ambient mode entirely, you may lose the Stadia Controller linking code display, which would be problematic for you as a Stadia user. So, you may need to leave Ambient mode enabled. It's also possible your slideshow frequency is already set to 10 minutes. All of that said, as long as it's driving the HDMI output, it will be "on" and warm to the touch.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Thanks. I tried to disable ambient mode, but I can't find an option to disable it... It only gives me the options to turn off weather, time etc. 

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@sulphurtx 

Dang. I don't normally help with Chromecast issues, and it looks like ambient mode can't be disabled. The best you can do is turn down the update frequency to 10 minutes. I suspect the HDMI output being on all the time is a source of at least some of the heat, though, and that isn't going to get better with a lower update frequency.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Thanks! Maybe someone at Google can look this up... Hope my house won't get on fire in the meantime! Greetings from Holland

1 Kudo