cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Founder
Founder

Audio/Video sync way off

Jump to solution

I have major audio/video sync issues with Stadia... but on the same chromecast ultra my other apps have no audio sync issues. Anyone else experiencing this?

Tags (1)
9 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

Hello all.

Just wanted to share my update:

I have a TCL Roku TV and was having really bad audio lag playing on CCU. It was really apparent in Destiny 2. I finally fixed mine by disabling the "Volume mode" in my TV settings. The one that keeps the volume highs and lows a bit leveled. I now have no lag.

So if you have that setting on your TV or whatever sound system you're using, perhaps try turning it off.

This probably won't help most of you, but hopefully it can help at least one other person.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
111 Replies
Founder
Founder
Yes, I came here to post exactly this. When I press shoot in Destiny 2 the controller rumbles and the action happens on screen but the audio is significantly delayed. If I had to guess I would say it's off by 500ms or so.... Like you, there's no audio delay when casting from YouTube or Netflix.
5 Kudos
Founder
Founder
What's your setup? I have my Chromecast attached to an Onkyo A/V receiver (the same way I have my other consoles connected). You?
0 Kudos
Community Member
I also have this problem. Chromecast ultra is in the TV-hdmi1 Yamaha receiver connected to the tv with HDMI2 with ARC. Not really impressed with the audio either. PS4 seems to sound better. Stadia probably is compressed..
2 Kudos
Founder
Founder
so, your chromecast is connected directly to the TV and the audio is sent back ARC and it's delayed? My setup is opposite. My chromecast is connected to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI port 6... the receiver sends the video to the TV via a different HDMI, and the HDMU audio hits the receiver directly from the chromecast... and the audio is STILL delayed a bunch. so strange.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I've tried all these setups:

Chromecast in receiver -> Black screen with HDCP 2.2 error

Chromecast in TV with ARC -> Audio is delayed, 2.0 PCM audio (no 5.1?)

Chromecast in TV with optical -> Audio is delayed, 2.0 PCM audio (no 5.1?)

Chromecast in TV, no receiver -> Audio not delayed, but over tv speakers

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

So your issue isn't with the Chrome Cast Ultra then, it's with your audio system introducing latency?

I have mine plugged into my soundbar with all audio enhancements like virtual surround turned off and it runs like a dream with no audio latency.

0 Kudos
Community Member
The issue is definitely with Stadia and the Chromecast Ultra. There is enough evidence to support this. It's possible you just haven't noticed the audio delay yourself with whatever games you are playing.
1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

The issue is most definitely a problem with stadia on the chromecast ultra.... I have a nintendo switch, a PS4 and a blu ray player all connected to the same set up.. none of which have this problem.. In addition playing Netflix or YouTube via the Chromecast ultra doesn't suffer with the issue. It's only stadia and ONLY on CCU. There are plenty of others also with this issue. It's not our kit, set up or anything we have control over. If it was it wouldn't only be stadia with the problem

0 Kudos
Community Member
Bumping this thread up to keep it alive. Amazed that there still hasn't been a response from Google yet lmao. I refuse to play anymore until it's fixed.
0 Kudos
Community Member
Yoohoo! Google!
0 Kudos
Community Member

Bump is a good idea. But I've lost hope that this will be addressed. I lost hope when there was a Q&A on reddit, post-release, and there wasn't a single question about Audio sync. I think most people just don't realize it's there, or don't care.

I haven't stopped using Stadia because of it. It's already paid for so might as well enjoy it. But it has stopped me from buying a premiere edition for my upstairs TV. I won't buy what I know is a defective product.

And for the people questioning if it's really the Chromecast (I've seen a couple posts in here like that). It's clear and obvious it's the CCU. Here's my setup:

Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Stadia --> HDMI to Receiver then Receiver to TV.

Destiny 2 on XBOX: no audio sync issue

Destiny 2 on PS4 Pro: no audio sync issue

Destiny 2 on Stadia: big audio delay

Destiny 2 on my PC via Chrome: no audio sync issue

Destiny 2 on my Laptop via Chrome: no audio sync issue

It's the CCU.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Yep, just as disappointed here. It’s obviously something they have an issue with based on it being the top choice on the feedback form for issues. If they acknowledged the problem it would make me feel better about it but for now I won’t be paying for pro after the 3 months expires.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder
I chased Stadia up on this on Wednesday, The reply I had was this: "We're sorry you have to go through this, Dan. We're aware of this and rest assured, our team is currently doing their best to get this fixed. We'll get back to you once we have more details to share. We appreciate your patience." It's about the closest I've had so far to acknowledging they are fixing it... I'll believe it when I see it though. For now I've been playing on my chromebook but I've activley avoided buying any games until it's repaired. Annoyingly, including Red Dead Redemption 2 even though it was on sale........
0 Kudos
Community Member

It's a stock reply, I'm getting exactly the same.

Today they dropped me a message asking if I still needed their help! They aren't trying to fix it, they are hoping we all just go away!

Stadia is broke. Straight up broke, and Google don't care.

0 Kudos
Community Member

So is this it then? Google have given up, everyone here has given up, it's over.

Chromecast has audio lag on Stadia and that it, it's just a feature now. If you have the issue, tough, deal with it.

Pathetic.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I noticed one thing that maybe can be of help.

I usually experience more lag if i start the game, from just turning on the controller.

But If i start the session from the app to the chromecast, the session usually goes more smoothly.

Have no idea why

Stadia name Nightcrow#9757 🙂
0 Kudos
Community Member

just unboxed the Stadia package yesterday night

plugged ethernet cable and the  CCU on TV

tried Destiny 2 

almost half a second delay on audio.

close Destiny

unplugged CCU

reboxed everything

ready to refound

0 Kudos
Community Member

Good luck! People have been waiting 2 months for refunds!

Stadia is so broken Google don't even want the stuff back!

0 Kudos
Community Member
Chatted with Google Stadia Support. Asked a bunch of questions. Ended up doing this: unplug CCU HDMI and power. On the controller, Press and hold the Stadia button down for 8-10 seconds. Wait a minute or so. Replug CCU, link back controller with CCU. Yes, just a good old "reset" basically. After doing this the delay was reduced dramatically. Tried many games just to be sure I wasn't imagining. Try it out and report back?
1 Kudo
Community Member

Didn't play stadia for more then a month because of the audio delay..i really hoped they will fix it or at least give some answers here.....sadly nothing. More then disappointing google. This will be the main reason why i will not pay for a subscripion after the 3 month trial...google stadia had potential....very disappointed!

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but this suggestion is just a bog-standard power cycle. It's the stadia equivalent of "turning it off and back on again". I appreciate everybody trying to find a solution for this, and I really hope I dont sound like I'm belittling you trying to help. What is so worrying, is after months of people reporting this, with no communication from the community managers, and repeated stock replies to people who have managed to reach out, they are still palming people off by asking them to power cycle. This is step one of pretty much any trouble shooting. The reason this annoys me is because they have, "apparently" been "hard at work" working on a fix for this (thats what I was told last time Is spoke to support). If that was the case, why the hell would they be telling people to power cycle!?!?.... I've already told Stadia I wont be extending my sub when it comes round to renew which was met with yet another stock answer. @GraceFromGoogle @ChrisFromGoogle one last ditch attempt to entice a response. Care to weigh in? This is the biggest thread on the Chromecase section of this forum and it's been completely ignored by google. You ARE going to lose a lot of comitted customers over this sort of thing. Please can somebody show us some light at the end of the tunnel?
1 Kudo
Community Member

The « fix » (power cycle) didn’t last long, and audio sync issue returned. If you go to reddit r/stadia, no one is talking about this. I have lost faith that this will ever get resolved, as either there is a too small percentage of user affected, or many affected yet nobody notices/cares. Not sure which is worse. I have canceled my subscription and I moved on to other gaming systems.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

The Chromecast is connected directly to one of the TVs HDCP 2.2 ports for 4K HDR and then to the receiver via ARC. 

I can cast Netflix and YouTube without audio delay, it seems to be specific to Stadia but there’s no option to adjust audio delay anywhere in Stadia. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

After fixing my hdcp2.2 issues (cycle power on tv/receiver) I managed to hook up the chromecast to the receiver instead of ARC. This results in PCM 5.1 audio. Haven't tested much, but the audio delay seems to have been fixed by not using ARC.

update: No, not fixed. With CC hooked up to receiver, I do get surround sound, but there is audio lag. No good lipsync in cutscene dialog or shooting. Watching netflix in the same setup on the same chromecast has perfect lipsync.

2 Kudos
Founder
Founder
For me, I've never used ARC in my setup with Stadia since I'm connected straight to the receiver with my chromecast. Seems like your setup is now like my setup... only, I still have audio lag. 😞 Glad you've made it work well for you! Something I haven't mentioned... when I play Stadia over wifi on my laptop it's flawless. Hard to tell any input lag at all, and no audio/video sync issues. 🙂 Not sure why my Chromecast setup is giving me issues... especially considering that other video over chromecast has no audio sync issues.
1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

Have you tested casting YouTube or Netflix to the Chromecast? For me, the audio is synced with both of them. It’s only Stadia that seems to have audio delay. 

Unfortunately, without the ability to adjust it in Stadia itself, correcting one will break the others 😔

1 Kudo
Community Member

Had the same problem too. I closed the game by holding the stadia button. After that ci closed stadia the same way and started destiny again. After that the sync was much better. Not perfect. But close too. With my notebook its perfect. So maybe hdmi communication problem with chromecast+ stream. Dont know. Before that i tried different ways. Chromecast in tv acr to reciever. Other way around.....i can change audio delay on my denon reciever but only +0-200 i need -200 😞 because sound is too late)

1 Kudo
Community Member
Same issue here, using ARC from tv to receiver. Can cast without any issue, it's just stadia.
1 Kudo
Community Member
Same issue audio is delayed when running audio through receiver in arc or connected to directly to receiver The best configuration for me was chromecast into receiver and Denon receiver in "pure direct mode" got the audio very close but still off just a little don't forget to put TV in game mode
1 Kudo