cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Very laggy

I'm having very laggy performance using stadia on Chrome. I tested my internet connection and it came back 96 mbps. I'm running on ethernet, I've opened up the ports, and generally tried everything I've seen suggested in the support guide. My computer is older, it's an Asus laptop with a core i5, 6 gigs or ram, just on board graphics. I can get it to run well sometimes for a few minutes, but always winds up to laggy to be playable, I also tried Edge Chormium.

2 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @Postmortem,

we here currently a lot of people complaining about the performance of Stadia on Chrome browser. This could indicate that there is something wrong at Stadia itself.

Let'as hope that the team will find an improvement, soon,

@Mad_Dog_Bravo do you have another idea why Stadia on Chrome could be slow? 🙂

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Tobonaut 

Not an issue that I'm encountering or have encountered recently for a while at least.  Although I'm in the UK and running with a reported speed of 515Mbps with Google's project stream speedtest https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest 

I might also suggest checking gcping.com and see what kind of latency you are getting to the Google's regional hubs.   I usually get around the 20-25ms to the nearest London hub, 

That doesn't mean to say that everything should be good for all users.  Some things I've seen since launch happen are:

1. Sometimes Google is doing stuff on their network and that has an impact on performance for users, sometimes it is associated with a few titles but not all titles, I guess it depends on where in the n/w changes are taking place.

2. In cases such as above, the issue typically is resolved after a few hours or a day at most.  If the issue still isn't resolved after a day then escalate it to support and provide them with whatever information that they require.  Also make sure to complete any survey that you get prompted with after finishing a game.

3.  If lag has been an issue from day one and has never been resolved, chances are that it is more likely to be an issue local to the user rather than a Google issue (although of course it could be an issue on the Google side, just less likely imho).  Things to look at with regards to crappy Chrome performance are:

• Do you get the same issue with Chromecast Ultra performance.  If you get good performance on CCU and bad on Chrome then probably more reason to think that Chrome is the area to look at.
  • Reset Chrome flags - go to the URL chrome://flags , select "Reset all to default", restart Chrome and try again.
  • Run Chrome and use an Incognito window and see if that helps, disable any extensions that might have been added.
  • Reduce refresh rate on mouse pointer (usually a feature on some mouse drivers).
  • Access Chrome flags and enable the feature "Enables pointer lock options".
  • On Windows 8 run Chrome in Windows 7 compatibility mode. 
  • Black screen on Chrome, try: Chrome flags and set Hardware accelerated video decode to Disabled.
  • Try using Chrome Canary instead and see if that resolves any issues

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions, here is where I am at currently.

• Do you get the same issue with Chromecast Ultra performance.  If you get good performance on CCU and bad on Chrome then probably more reason to think that Chrome is the area to look at.
  • Dont have a CCU 
  • Reset Chrome flags - go to the URL chrome://flags , select "Reset all to default", restart Chrome and try again.
  • Already tried this, didn't help
  • Run Chrome and use an Incognito window and see if that helps, disable any extensions that might have been added.
  • Already tried no help
  • Reduce refresh rate on mouse pointer (usually a feature on some mouse drivers).
  • Will try this next
  • Access Chrome flags and enable the feature "Enables pointer lock options".
  • Will also try this
  • On Windows 8 run Chrome in Windows 7 compatibility mode. 
  • I have windows 10
  • Black screen on Chrome, try: Chrome flags and set Hardware accelerated video decode to Disabled.
  • Will give it a try
  • Try using Chrome Canary instead and see if that resolves any issues
  • Will give it a try

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I also experienced annoying lag using Stadia on my desktop (with ethernet connection) while on CCU everything worked smoothly. I tried everything listed above but nothing worked. Recently I received a laptop from work and experience no lag at all when I use Stadia on it (using WiFi). There are two differences: (1) My laptop is brand new so has the latest hardware and (2) on my laptop I use an USB-C cable while on my desktop I had to use a 'bridge cable' with USB-C on one side to connect the controller and 'regular' USB on the other side as my desktop does not have a USB-C connection port. Could it be that the lag is caused by the cable? In that case it could be solved when Stadia can be used wireless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

tried all of this, the only thing that made a difference was "Enables pointer lock options". in the flags. It helped but games are still to laggy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

so after trying all the chrome fixes, I tried Edge chromium again, and I managed to get about 15 minutes of pretty decent performance playing Destiny 2 before it crashed. There was still some lag but it was actually playable.

0 Kudos