cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Stuttering and laggy on chrome

As we all know, Doom eternal comes tomorrow and I can not thank Google enough to give me the opportunity to play FPS with a mouse and keyboard. That being said ; I have a 2017 macbook air and playing on chrome is very laggy and stuttering... I turned down all my background app, and use Canary, while better still has lot of stuttering... Am I the only one experiencing this?

On Chromecast and phone (2.4g), it is perfect especially on newer games like The Division 2, it is perfect, I do not know how they do it but I have no latency, feels like playing my xbox but on chrome... No latency but lot of stuttering

3 Kudos
23 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Do you have anything enabled at chrome://flags? If so, reset those options to the default and restart Chrome to see if that has any impact. 

You might also try running Stadia in an Incognito Window to try to eliminate issues related to your browser profile.

1 Kudo
Community Member

worked! ❤️

0 Kudos
Community Member

I give up... I tried everything I saw on the web and nothing worked... Incognito, canary, flags, incognito in canary, browser update... It is not like my mac is crap, it is a 2017 MacBook Air that perfectly run xcode, Android studio, Android emulator... But not stadia...?

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

How about a browser settings reset?
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214

Also, does it make any difference whether you use keyboard+mouse or a controller?

1 Kudo
Community Member

@codesplice same, weither I use the controller, an external mouse or trackpad, it is the same. Although it is better than before, the issue is still there... There is no latency but stuttering, this is sad since I really want to play fps with a mouse and keyboard... I mean stadia made me enjoy FPS games because I hated them in console. I really hope this issues gets solved... 

I mean I get console experience, mobile experience (especially when the touch stadia will be added to the app)

And PC experience...

This is gold just need to fix that Chrome thing

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@jayo2k That sucks. 😞

I'm afraid I don't really know my way around Macs so I can't personally offer any recommendations outside of the Chrome browser itself (which we've already covered). So I'm gonna have to bow out here, but I'd encourage you to use the Feedback option in Stadia to report your experience to the devs. Maybe there's something that can be optimized from their end.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Have you tried the stadia controller on your Mac ?

I didn't try Xbox controller but for me, if I use the mouse it's very stuttering. But with stadia controller (still on Chrome and windows 10) I have no issue 

And is it the same as this 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/fnithf/personal_request_to_my_fellow_mouse_and_keyboard/?ut...

If yes , fill a report. More report we do, faster they will answer 

0 Kudos
Community Member

I have the same problem with stuttering. I have tried Chrome Browser, incognito tab and new edge browser. Always the same problem. Games are all stuttering with mouse and keyboard and have blurry visuals. Speedtest says 900 mbit/sec with Ethernet, Stadia says "excellent" connection and 4K is on. 

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Pheenix Are you also on a Mac?

0 Kudos
Community Member

No Windows 10

0 Kudos
Community Member

I think that chrome thing is the only weak point on Stadia... If they solve this, it will be magic. Plying FPS on laptop is gold

0 Kudos
Community Member

I've been having a lot of similar issues.  Playing with Chrome in incognito with controller.  Usually it will be fine, after 10 minutes or so the controller will lockup and I have to refresh the page to fix it.  After the refresh everything gets pixelated and glitchy.  I get popups saying my connection is unstable and eventually get kicked with the "you need a better connection to play" message.  I have Fios Gig and my computer is hard lined into my firewall (not using Verizons crappy router).  I check speeds and everything is fine.

Sometimes fully exiting the game fixes the issues, other times it doesn't.  I have no issues on chromecast or my phone.

stadia isue.JPG

0 Kudos
Community Member

Have 5he same issue. My laptop is a bit old. But has 6gb ram core i5 has no trouble with streaming anything or with speed test comes back as excellent. But laggy and stuttering like crazy. .unplayable for me on Chrome. At least on my only PC in the house. It runs Win10. Also tried booting debian and elementary OS but same thing with both chrome and chromium. Maybe it's just my hardware. But connection seems great for everything else :?

0 Kudos
Community Member

Same issue. Stuttering. Windows 10 great internet and great laptop

1 Kudo
Community Member

Sounds about right. I have two machines hooked up to ethernet and they lag in Chrome.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I can confirm this is still happening. GIg internet and windows 10 running VP9 and doom eternal becomes very frustrating to play. delayed input and the only way to fix is it, is to pause the game and let the connection traffic slow down because its mostly a black pause menu. about 30 seconds in the input delay and screen delay begin again.

0 Kudos
Community Member

My experience can be various on Chrome-cast and Chrome. A few months ago, when I played Assassin's creed on chrome-cast, sometimes it lagged so much become unplayable. But once I switch to my chrome browser on my MacBook pro (2018 version) it works perfectly. But sometimes it could be the other way round (chrome become unplayable, chrome-cast worked perfect) I have to point out that both devices are in the same room (only less than 2 metres away from each other) And I don't understand why this could be the case.

And recently Stadia on Chrome has become so laggy. The graphic quality can get pixelated for a second or two even I am not moving or pressing any button. The input and visual lags are also a big issue. I did tune my performance to the lowest level so I don't request this much data to steam. And I definitely have good internet to play Stadia ("Excellent" on stadia)

On the chrome-cast, it works like butter, no lag no visual lag, almost perfect. (there was some audio issue, where when I fire a gun, I hear some eco sound, or some audio delay, but at the least the game is playable.)

0 Kudos
Community Member

If you haven't been able to fix this I think I might be able to help.  If youre on wifi then go to the Apple in the top left and choose System Preferences.  When those come up go to Security and Privacy.  Click the Lock in the bottom left to unlock the settings and then turn of Location Services. This should help, for some reason while you're online with wifi MacOS continually scans for new wifi SSID's near you to determine your location.  When this happens it basically causes Stadia and other Remote Play services to just disconnect for a brief moment causing them to freak out and you get the issues you're having.

1 Kudo
Community Member

You might want to to turn off some of the location services on your Mac as described here. https://community.stadia.com/t5/Getting-Started-With-Stadia/Troubleshooting-wifi-latency-in-MacOS/td... That helped for me.

In general it seems that most 'stuttering' and lag issues are caused by things outside of Chrome. More often than not by the OS itself doing a bit too much networking. There is a reason preferred stadia play is with Chromecast and the Stadia controller. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

for me stadia on windows 10 is unplayable, wired connection, 1Gbs fibre broadband, tried all the fixes nothing worked.

Then dual boot linux ubuntu and hey presto no issues at all?

1 Kudo
Community Member

It's the same on my Surface Pro 6 using Chrome. I've tried everything to no avail.  It's obviously a Chrome issue for pc/Mac.  Stadia works perfectly on my tv/Chromecast and my phone.  Lag only happens on laptop.  So far I've seen no actual solutions to the issue.   I've reset flags,  done the incognito browser,  etc.  Nothing works. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

I also had some problems at the beginning, especially with the stability and the quality. what disturbs massively is Bluetooth. I removed and deactivated everything that has to do with Bluetooth. I use a weak Chromebook without a LAN connection. Now I have a LAN to USB C adapter. since then there have been no difficulties. It's going great. Maybe that will also help with your devices.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Download Chronium. After that install the extension: Stadia +. Launch Stadia with the extension and start your game. This works fine for me atm! Hope it stays like that! 

0 Kudos