cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mexflex
Community Member

Stadia won't run on my Chromebook.

I have a Lenovo C330 Chromebook. I can't get Stadia to work on my Chromebook. When I startup a game Stadia keeps checking the connection but it doesn't work. It works great on my Chromecast and my windows laptop. Can you help me getting it to work on my Chromebook? I have already tried to run it in a ingongnito tab and I have resetten all chrome flags. Regards Erik

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
grrouchie
Community Member

I have the same chromebook.  The stadia speed test tells me I should get high quality gaming.

I have yet to get stadia past the connection check on it.  

However,  it runs perfectly on my old laptop that cannot hit the speeds my chromebook can.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Northlight
Community Member

The problem is Stadia speed test does not test for connection quality only for connection speed. Isolating possible problem is the first step for indentifying the true issue. 

I collect Kudos for living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Northlight
Community Member

@GraceFromGoogle 

I am sorry to ping you again however It could be useful to get a list of Chromebooks physically capable of running Stadia whitout issue. Has it seems some older or lower grade chromebook are unable to run it properly. 

I am not speak of the C330 here has it should be able to run it I believe but more informations would be helpful and would save time and effort.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ritalin
Community Member

I bought a C330 specifically for use with Stadia and found the same problems no matter how strong my wifi connection was.. After 2 weeks of trial and error and scouring the internet for solutions, I got rid of it and got a Samsung Chromebook plus, which runs Stadia very well. I read that there are issues with the mediatek chipset the Lenovo uses not playing nicely with Stadia. Personally I noticed some AMD-based chromebooks I demoed seemed really choppy with Stadia. If you are determined to get Stadia running on chromebook I would recommend giving up on the C330 and getting an Intel-based Chromebook. Just make sure you have a decent return window. Even my Samsung has a few issues with Stadia with regards to connection and sound.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Northlight
Community Member

@RitalinI have a Samsung pro intel based Chromebook and I experienced those issues . I have found way's to fix them however they comeback after a few days to a week. There is a lot of speculations and ways around the issue however at this point there is a need of informations or a fix from Google.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stoneule
Community Member

I also have an intel based Samsung Chromebook Pro. Same issues only on this device. Weirdly enough, I have a pretty crappy Acer Chromebook Tab 10 that stadia works error free on. Really strange, but on my home gigabit wireless internet my SCP has terrible performance and often refuses to work. Hope Google fixes this soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mexflex
Community Member

Yes indeed. On my chromebook it sometimes run on 720P without HDR on but even then itś crappy. On my HP Windows 10 laptop it works without problems.

I have ordered an USB-C ethernet adapter but i don think this will help anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ritalin
Community Member

On my Chromebook Plus, it will show a wifi connection but stop responding.  If I disconnect then reconnect the wifi, it usually comes back, then usually stops responding.  It also displays a "weak" wifi connection even when my other devices show a stronger connection.  Very frustrating.  Stadia is hit and miss.  I played on crummy hotel wifi the other day and it was nearly flawless for more than an hour.  Other times it won't even "see" the wifi.  Do you see the same issues with the Chromebook Pro?  I'm thinking about returning the Plus but I really like the screen on this one and can't find another Chromebook this nice at a reasonable price.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SkullBurner
Community Member

@MexflexMy solution wasn't even caused by the said issue, however, you might want to DISABLE Hardware-accelerated video decoding in chrome://flags. I used that and it works great using the highest quality. Also, there are small issues with the graphics card (at least to my knowledge) having skipped frames and the occasional stutter. I'm currently looking for a fix, and I'll update this reply once I find one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jarsh92
Community Member

@Mexflex I had this same issue and I think I found a solution that might work for you.  Try to DISABLE Hardware-accelerated video decoding in chrome://flags, then launch the game and see if it fixes your connection issue (it should).  Now you will probably have huge input lag( I did).  Close the browser and go back into settings and ENABLE Hardware-accelerated video again.  Then try launching stadia again.

This has worked for me twice, once on my brand new chromebook(Mediatek) , and one computer using just the chrome browser.  

0 Kudos