cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Lagging when playing with an HDMI cable

Hello everyone,

I just recently ordered Google Stadia and am still waiting for the Chromecast and controller.

In the meantime I've been playing on Chrome, which works perfectly. Whenever I try to plug in an HDMI-cable into my laptop, it immediately starts lagging or even stops working completely. It says I need a better internet connection to play, but that can't be the reason as it works fine otherwise. 

I've tried it with different laptops, different cables and even different TVs, but always the same result.

As I couldn't find out anything about it online, I thought I'd ask you guys here. I really appreciate the answers.

2 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Can you try reducing the resolution of the connected display to see if that makes any difference? I wonder if the laptop's video adapter might be struggling to push all the pixels required by Stadia. You might also adjust the quality setting in the Stadia app on your phone to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I can't change the resolution of the TV. I can however change the resolution my laptop puts out, which unfortunately doesn't change anything. Reducing the quality setting on Stadia doesn't do anything either.

But thanks for the answer anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@kotihelmila 

While trying to debug unstable Stadia connections in Chrome I found this on the trouble shooting site under 

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9595943?p=connection&visit_id=637186738872138222-3970177955...

Troubleshoot slow game responses or degraded visual quality -> stadia.com (Google Chrome)

If you use an HDMI cable to connect your computer to your display, make sure the cable supports HDMI 2.0 or greater, and is plugged into an HDMI 2.0 or greater port on both ends.

I was not sure if you verified that you are indeed using a HDMI 2.0 or greater cable. I know they make it so it is hard to identify but I am sure if that is the issue it may be easy to resolve. In addition, I am thinking I may be having the same issue. Even though I have not had any other issues with any other 4k hdr content using this cable from my computer, I am going to get a new HDMI 2.0 cable just to test.

I hope this helps. Thanks

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

@kotihelmila ,

I discovered that by changing one cable branded as "High Speed HDMI with Ethernet" for another it seemed to stop the connection warnings I was getting from using Stadia via Chrome. I am not sure why it would affect the connection speed short of HDCP issues but it did resolve that issue and provided me a more stable connection. Unfortunately the image quality in Chrome is still pretty horrible with that issue resolved.

Personally I think the whole HDMI specification group should be disbanded for not requiring standard labeling for HDMI cables and trying to purchase them online or in store is a nightmare. Either way, I would recommend trying to purchase a new HDMI 2.0 cable and test. Please do not spend a fortune on one but find one rated on box as at least 18gbps which is the minimum HDMI 2.0 standard speed requirement. I hope you find one that fixes your issue in this thread, unfortunately for me the image quality is just too poor for me using Chrome VS CCU.

Thanks and good luck 😃

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Just wanted to update to say sadly even though I thought replacing my HDMI cable fixed this issue it did not. For whatever reason only when playing through my browser, my connection is unstable to Stadia. This is despite getting 200 plus mbs download while Stadia is running. Please note, when I got the connection warning, only then did I pause, open another browser and run a test. I also verified both TCP and UDP ports were open in my firewall. Funny enough I was capable of and verified i was running at 4k after the chrome update, but that lasted for 2 seconds before dropping back to 720. I I wish to play in my browser.

When I play through the CCU I have no issues. I wish that google would respond to the my original post why some folks running through chrome have such issues.

Thanks and good luck. I seem to be having the same issues in Chrome or Edge browser.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@crs117 

Sorry for not responding for quite some time, but I didn't think anyone would still answer.

Yes I have tried different HDMI cables, even HDMI 2.0. It does seem to work a little bit better when using high speed cables, but is still almost unplayable. I hope they fix it at some point, as it doesn't really make sense to me.

But thank you for your answer anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hey there!
I have the same problem.
Has anyone found a solution in the meantime?
It works great with CCU and the Chrome browser but when I connect an HDMI cable to the TV the connection in Stadia is awful. As already described above.
Has anyone ever asked support?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Try Using (PROJECT SECOND SCREEN ONLY) on your Laptop Setting 

WINDOW ACTION CENTER 

Window Action Center -  Project -  Second Screen Only 

0 Kudos