Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ghego
Community Member

Google chrome & Linux

Jump to solution

Seems Stadia + Google Chrome on Linux leads in input lag turning the experience unplayable.

Tested on vanilla install of chrome (stable 78.03904.108, beta 79.0.3945.45, dev 80.0.3970.5) and all those are affected.

All of those present hardware accelerated as unavailable feature, and this should be the cause of the problem.

Any idea to get rid of the issue?

Tags (2)
4 Kudos
Highlighted
Bogdan
Community Member
Same as everyone here. Stadia runs acceptable on windows but on Linux the input gag from mouse movement it just makes the game unplayable. I like playing FPS game like Destiny, Unreal Tournament and Fortnight using mouse and keyboard. The fixes suggested by @Mad_Dog_Brave do not work. They improved the situation for about 30 seconds of play and then the crazy mouse lagging kicked in again. I'm more frustrated then ever that it runs on Windows but not on Linux. It is just ridiculous. The hole point for me to try Stadia was to enjoy gaming in Linux.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valynor
Community Member

Well, it's not a general Linux problem - it runs fine for a lot of people, including me on Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon + Chrome 79 stable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Orgin
Community Member

@Bogdan

For now, until Google gets their linux support in order, set the "Data usage & performance" to "Limited data usage". It was the only thing that helped me get rid of the extreme input lag on my linux setups.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ctxhaard
Community Member

Hi, I'd like to share my experience.
I have a FTTH Internet connection running at 600 MBPS.
I connect all my devices with a 5GHz WiFi connection to it.
The Google Chromecast Ultra wih Stadia controller is working as a charm: optimal video quality, no input lag.
I tested Stadia un some DELL Laptops on the same network; they all have similar specs so hardware is not relevant.

But I tested different OSes:

- MS Windows + Google Chrome: optimal video quality, no input lag, both with keyboard and mouse and with USB connected Stadia Controller
- Ubuntu 18.04 with Google Chrome: optimal video quality; a big issue with input lag making Ghost Recon Breakpoint on Stadia; it is is present with keyboard+mouse but is more evident with Stadia Contrller

After some searches on the Internet it ended up that Google has no plans to support Hardware acceleration for video decoding for Chrome on Linux.
Every attempt to change Chrome flags related to hardware acceleration were useless.
I followed what explained here: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/how-to-enable-hardware-accelerated.htm: basically installing Chromium Browser pathced with Video hardware acceleration support (VAAPI) and everything is working fine:
Stadia set up with maximum quality, perfect video rendering and no input lag with K+M or Stadia controller.

Hope this can help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RepoMordi
Community Member

Tried SteamOS yesterday. Installed chrome and feels like on windows. No lags, mouse movement as it should be.

0 Kudos