Seems Stadia + Google Chrome on Linux leads in input lag turning the experience unplayable.
Tested on vanilla install of chrome (stable 78.03904.108, beta 79.0.3945.45, dev 80.0.3970.5) and all those are affected.
All of those present hardware accelerated as unavailable feature, and this should be the cause of the problem.
Any idea to get rid of the issue?
For now, until Google gets their linux support in order, set the "Data usage & performance" to "Limited data usage". It was the only thing that helped me get rid of the extreme input lag on my linux setups.
Hi, I'd like to share my experience.
I have a FTTH Internet connection running at 600 MBPS.
I connect all my devices with a 5GHz WiFi connection to it.
The Google Chromecast Ultra wih Stadia controller is working as a charm: optimal video quality, no input lag.
I tested Stadia un some DELL Laptops on the same network; they all have similar specs so hardware is not relevant.
But I tested different OSes:
- MS Windows + Google Chrome: optimal video quality, no input lag, both with keyboard and mouse and with USB connected Stadia Controller
- Ubuntu 18.04 with Google Chrome: optimal video quality; a big issue with input lag making Ghost Recon Breakpoint on Stadia; it is is present with keyboard+mouse but is more evident with Stadia Contrller
After some searches on the Internet it ended up that Google has no plans to support Hardware acceleration for video decoding for Chrome on Linux.
Every attempt to change Chrome flags related to hardware acceleration were useless.
I followed what explained here: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/how-to-enable-hardware-accelerated.htm: basically installing Chromium Browser pathced with Video hardware acceleration support (VAAPI) and everything is working fine:
Stadia set up with maximum quality, perfect video rendering and no input lag with K+M or Stadia controller.
Hope this can help.