cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Fixing stuttering and lag on Mac

Jump to solution

I love Stadia but had lot of stuttering and huge drop in frame rate but I found the solution (at least for mac)

Since I did this, I have not experienced any stuttering at all and now enjoy FPS to the fullest (mouse and keyboard)

- Disable location Service

On mac, click on the mac icon then :

-> System preferences -> Security and privacy -> Privacy -> uncheck "Enable location service".

Since I did this, I have experienced absolutely no stuttering at all

7 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

I see! Well one thing that helped me get smooth gameplay over WiFi was to use a WiFi analyzer app to find a clear channel and then go into the router settings to switch to that channel. It's especially important if you live in a congested area with lots of neighbors. I do this whenever I plan to play for a while on WiFi. 

Also blocking the mic permission in chrome for Stadia.com helps, but that might be just a Chromebook issue. 

Also, making sure you are running with no extensions, nothing open except Stadia, and NOTHING running in the background. 

Hope something here helps. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide
Interesting find, thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep that in mind if I see other similar complaints.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I have also been experiencing stutter on an i9 macbook pro 16in, and turning off location services gave me smooth sailing.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Is this the kind of repeating hang ups that occur with some minutes intervals??? I’ll try your solution tomorrow and if it’s gone I’ll give you a big Kudos.

Update:
- Red Dead Redemption 2 - Tested for 10 minutes and works good.
- Ghost Recon - Tested for 5 minutes and works good.

Main issue I had was with Division 2, not tested yet but I´ll do that tonight.
This is NOT a problem related to specific games, but I´ll do the Division 2 test anyway just because I had obvious issues in the game, thats most likely gone now (Thanks).

I´ll be back 🙂

1 Kudo
Community Member

Did not buy Read dead because I have it on Xbox one S and do not play it much... But Ghost recon since it was on sale (I also have it on Xbox), I did buy it on Stadia but I hat a input lag and was not 60fps so...

0 Kudos
Community Member

Wow it really works. Bin playing Division 2 for more than an hour and no lag whatsoever. This is a genuine solution *****

1 Kudo
Community Member

That and opening in an incognito window made it even better for me.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Thank you!  I just signed up today and stadia worked great on a Windows machine at work but my iMac was having horrible input lag. The games were unplayable. I turned off location services and everything is working great now. 

Thank you again, there is no way I would have stumbled on that fix on my own. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

It is definitely better without location services, but far from perfect, what else can be done.

0 Kudos
Community Member

What seems to be the trouble @andresvia ?

1 Kudo
Community Member

@RJpianist it is hard to explain, I recorded a video and uploaded to YT (I'm sorry I'm not youtube material), check video around the 2:00 time mark, https://youtu.be/CI8zQj2M74k?t=120

It is kind of a Schrödinger's problem since it doesn't seem to happen that much when recording 😛 

I guess I expect gameplay to be alway super smooth, but from now and then (in Mac) I'm experiencing these skips and stutters and is really annoying to the point it ruins the experience.

It is maybe something in my machine but I can't figure it out, I have everything closed and I don't run services or daemons.

Anyway. More suggestions about what can be done to make the experience in Mac better are well received.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I see! Well one thing that helped me get smooth gameplay over WiFi was to use a WiFi analyzer app to find a clear channel and then go into the router settings to switch to that channel. It's especially important if you live in a congested area with lots of neighbors. I do this whenever I plan to play for a while on WiFi. 

Also blocking the mic permission in chrome for Stadia.com helps, but that might be just a Chromebook issue. 

Also, making sure you are running with no extensions, nothing open except Stadia, and NOTHING running in the background. 

Hope something here helps. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Member

After applying all the recommendations here on my MacBook pro 2019 is still not working as good as it does on my old windows laptop that I bought 7 years ago =s please fix this

0 Kudos
Community Member

I confirm that it started to work for me perfectly after applying all the suggestions from here and making sure that there wasn't any background process running (like backup software).

😁😎

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Community Member

Completely agree with this. It is great on Chromecast, Galaxy Tab S6, S20, any windows PC/laptop... but on Mac, it stutters constantly 

0 Kudos