cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Member

Finally success with Stadia on my Chromebook

This is how I get Stadia working well on my Samsung Chromebook Pro over WiFi. If you're having any Chromebook trouble, try it!

1. Completely power down Chromebook.

2. Connect controller.

3. Make sure phone has a good WiFi connection, and connect it via USB.

4. Power up Chromebook.

5. Select USB Tethering on phone.
    (Now the Chromebook's WiFi is being bypassed in favor of the better WiFi on the phone. The Chromebook should say in the system panel that it's connected to ethernet.)

6. Fire up the Guest Mode on Chromebook.
    (Better than just an Incognito window, because not only does this not allow extensions to run on Stadia, they aren't even running in the background using up resources.)

7. Log into Stadia and play!

This has worked flawlessly numerous times today on "Balanced" settings, and the Stadia menu reports that the connection is "Excellent". Normally, my Chromebook isn't even able to start a game. Sometimes it can (with crappy performance and a "Fair" connection), but more often not.

What a relief! Now I can play video games in bed! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Member

Hi @RJpianist 

Thanks for sharing this guide, really useful for Chromebook players. 

2 Kudos
Community Member

Does this work on IOS? On my chrome book I only see an option to connect to my phones hotspot

0 Kudos
Community Member

Honestly I have no idea. All I can suggest is to go ahead and connect them with a cable, then go into iOS network settings and look for something like USB tethering to see if you can turn it on. You'll know it's working if the Chromebook says it's connected by Ethernet. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Thanks I tried to use my phone with USB tethering, and it works !! No more lags!

Then i noticed that when i use my phone with USB tethering, it didn't retreive an IPv6 address.

So i decided to try again with chromebook wifi but disabling IPv6 on my internal network before (disbling it on my ISP modem). And guess what, it works!! No more lags !

So thanks again for giving me the hint for disabling IPv6!!

0 Kudos
Community Member

Note that i use stadia as PWA  web app and close all other Windows

0 Kudos
Community Member

And yeah, I don't have anything else open either. Especially since I play in guest mode so no extensions are loaded. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Ooh nice catch! I would never have caught that myself. I'll give it a try too. Thanks for replying!

0 Kudos