cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Enable H264 instead of VP9?

Jump to solution

Hi, everyone!

I am using my old (ivy bridge) laptop as a streaming box. I managed to get reasonably low input lag in Chrome back during the Odessey closed beta by enabling hardware h264 decoding. Now the tampermonkey script shows that it uses VP9 codec by default, there's no hardware support for it in my cpu, and software decoding causes my cpu to throttle a lot even in 720p resolution and causes very noticeable input lag. YouTube videos in VP9 cause it to throttle as well, but the lag is of little importance there.

I wonder if anyone had any success in forcing stadia to stream in h264 on older hardware? I use latest chrome on ubuntu 18.04. The bandwidth is also not an issue. I tried both latest stable chrome and vaapi patched chromium. 

Thanks!

PS The stadia model is awesome and I'd be completely willing to buy games such as RDR at full price there if only there was a way to make it work on my streaming box. 

4 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

You could install Stadia+ Chrome extension, it let's you choose between h256/vp9 as you prefer. After adding the extwnsion, enter a game,  press shift+tab to open the overlay, click on stadia+ and make your setting, then reload the game page. 

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Member

You could install Stadia+ Chrome extension, it let's you choose between h256/vp9 as you prefer. After adding the extwnsion, enter a game,  press shift+tab to open the overlay, click on stadia+ and make your setting, then reload the game page. 

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
Community Member

Amazing, works smoothly as charm now, thank you so much! Highly recommend to anyone with older hardware. Do you (or anyone) know if the stadia team has any plans of dropping h264 any time soon considering that they choose VP9 as default now? 

0 Kudos