Community Member

Browser all games drop to 720p with good connection

Jump to solution

Specs:

Windows 10 all Updates, no additional Software installed

APU A8 7600 kaveri 3.1 - 3.7 Ghz Quad Radeon s7

Ram: Ripjaws 8GB ddr3 2133mhz

Ethernet: 100 mb down, 40 mb up Fiber cabled

Speedtest google stadia result: 94 mb down you should have "great" experience.

Browser: Chrome, Canary

Did everything to improve it. Hardware accelaration off (huge Input lag Spikes, barely playable, no difference) I even reiinstalled Windows 10 entirely to make sure no program or driver is interrupting somehow.
Reset flags. Use canary browser, use inkognito window. But nothing works for me. ROTTR almost starts with 720p on the balanced settings, destiny drops after a few secs. Than it rises, drops, vice versa.during gameplay. Pixelation while moving sometimes, or in Action scenes. Connection stays on OK and sometimes drops to bad for a short period. Looks really not good even worse then on my xbox one S. I hope it isn't the CPU bottlenecking here but if that would be the case then why does services like Shadow and Geforce now delivering almost crystal clear FHD streams to my machine? I don't wanna bash stadia somehow, as it is in a early state right now, but i can't see myself using it with just 720p in the future when any other service gives me better results.  Maybe anyone has a magic trick to help folks like me? Or maybe some sort of explanation what causes this.
Thank you all.
(:  

1 Kudo
2 Solutions
Community Member
When you were playing without the CCU, were you using mouse and keyboard? My thinking is, when you are watching YouTube videos the data is pretty much all download, when using the CCU the data to that is download and the controller handles the upload. When using the PC with mouse and keyboard, the PC is handling both upload and download. A lot of people have solved Stadia issues on the PC by reducing the mouse polling rate from 1500 down to 100, that could be worth a go? What I am thinking is that trying to send 1500 individual packets every second might be causing disruption to the network connection, maybe packet loss goes up or something? Anyway, worth a try and let us know if that changes anything.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Member
Hey Guys, i just wanna give you all a little update about this! Games are running fine now, don't know what the tech team of google has done but its working great now for me on the chrome browser. I haven't changed anything till the last time, I just wanted to try it out again today since the last time, and used the app through the canary browser with an xbox one gamepad (just for the intel). Games were running and stayin fine in 1080p all the time, just a few artifacts were appearing during quick movements here and there but it was a significant improvement from the last time I used it. So i can enjoy stadia now with my pc setup too, yay! (:

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Member

Pick a 1080p60 video from YouTube - can you watch these in fullscreen without problems? rightclick > stats for nerds, make sure it's really 1080p60 and using VP9

0 Kudos
Community Member

Hello Valynor, 

Thank you for repleying. Yes i can watch those videos super smooth. Anyway i tried something else, i forced stadia via console to run in VP9 codec mode only. Image looks definetly better and stays in 1080p, running also smoothly without those nasty resolution drops but unfortunatly the Input lag is killing the experience making it also unplayable. Ive no problem in some quality loses by using lower codecs but it just has to stay in 1080p based upon connection speeds. this is what was promised before. I could prop use the CCU and have zero problems but i mainly bought stadia for my pc, coz i life in a drawn together house and the TV is used a lot by my neighbors, but i will try that out 2 asap. More suggestions? Would be cool. (: 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Ok Folks,

I just Setup my CCU on my monitor and it works flawlessly. No Connection loss/drop nothing! So ist safe to say that these drops in resolution and connection are coming from my Hardware not been able to decode VP9 fast enough in google Chrome. Well, its a little bummer. Since it is not a real Problem to play like this now, but i would like to see maybe Google would add an more common codec in the future for stadia and let ppl switch between those two codecs, so that even older Hardware can decode the stream in high Quality without having that much pain to go through.  Requiring new Hardware or at least current isn't really going hand in hand with the purpose of even using Cloud Services and not just simply buying a new pc/Laptop. But anyway, thread can be closed and stadia is still young, Maybe we see those improvements in the future. 

Greetings,

0 Kudos
Community Member
When you were playing without the CCU, were you using mouse and keyboard? My thinking is, when you are watching YouTube videos the data is pretty much all download, when using the CCU the data to that is download and the controller handles the upload. When using the PC with mouse and keyboard, the PC is handling both upload and download. A lot of people have solved Stadia issues on the PC by reducing the mouse polling rate from 1500 down to 100, that could be worth a go? What I am thinking is that trying to send 1500 individual packets every second might be causing disruption to the network connection, maybe packet loss goes up or something? Anyway, worth a try and let us know if that changes anything.

0 Kudos
Community Member
Hello Dratster, Im using the logitech MX518 an old model, which already has a rate of 125 (I also used a xbox one controller wants and experienced the same)on this already low rate, i also don't really think that it would do much, but nevertheless a good idea. I will propably use my chromecast on my monitor for a while coz this will propably fixed in the future, so no big deal. CCU versions works flawless though and looks good. (:
0 Kudos
Community Member
Hey Guys, i just wanna give you all a little update about this! Games are running fine now, don't know what the tech team of google has done but its working great now for me on the chrome browser. I haven't changed anything till the last time, I just wanted to try it out again today since the last time, and used the app through the canary browser with an xbox one gamepad (just for the intel). Games were running and stayin fine in 1080p all the time, just a few artifacts were appearing during quick movements here and there but it was a significant improvement from the last time I used it. So i can enjoy stadia now with my pc setup too, yay! (:

0 Kudos