Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

4k Streaming

Jump to solution

Good Morning,

yesterday i saw that now the 4k streaming on web is supported by Stadia and these are the requirements:

2 a 4K monitor
3 a GPU compatible with VP9 decoding
a network connection of 35 Mbps or higher

About the third point, is it an "Hardware requirement"?
i ask it because i have an old Nvidia GeForce 770, and one of the reasons why I purchased stadia pro was precisely not to modify the hardware set of my old pc. 😞
Can anyone help me to understand if i need a new video card or not and if the Stadia 4k streaming service is already active world wide or not?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Yes, the Stadia 4K requirements specifically mention VP9 hardware decoding so you'll need a GPU capable of decoding that content in the hardware - and it doesn't look like the 770 will do that. It sounds like you would need a new GPU in order to take advantage of 4K gaming. 

I haven't seen anything to indicate that 4K is restricted by region though - I believe it should be available wherever Stadia is. 

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Yes, the Stadia 4K requirements specifically mention VP9 hardware decoding so you'll need a GPU capable of decoding that content in the hardware - and it doesn't look like the 770 will do that. It sounds like you would need a new GPU in order to take advantage of 4K gaming. 

I haven't seen anything to indicate that 4K is restricted by region though - I believe it should be available wherever Stadia is. 

View solution in original post

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Codesplice,

i bought a GTX 1660 after your advice, and now i have the VP9 decoding (saw it on chrome://GPU)...now I have just to wait for the Stadia release of "web 4k streaming service" .. for now it isn't.

P.S. But i saw it on my chromecast Ultra

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

you cant download the chrome extension "Stadia+". it forces 4K Quality. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stadia%20-extension/bbhmnnecicphphjamhdefpagipoegijd

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

stadia.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for your advice,

but it seems that there's not 4k streaming yet...beacuse with this monitor i saw the "4k" icon anche the "HDR" icon too with the chromecast ultra...but not with streaming web. 

But i don't have any problem with connection (90mb/s), monitor (LG 27UL650) and decode VP9 (GTX 1660 Super)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia+ should be able to force 4k and VP9 decoding anyway, but beware: this way the PC will try to decode using the CPU. And that of course will not work well if the CPU isn't very powerful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Iperpido,

you made me understand how the stadia+ works specifically forcing 4k streaming...and probably my CPU now isn't so capable to decode; but I hope this will change in the short term, considering that Google has announced the release of the "native" 4k streaming of Stadia within the first year's quarter, isn't it?

0 Kudos