cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

ugly Subscription Model

Jump to solution

Is there any chance the business model might change?

I like the idea of Stadia but my primary concern is the Battle-Pass-esque, stay-subscribed-and-stick-around subscription model being used on consumers.

This far, there have already been something like 14 games made free right, like 2 per month? And I know they (games) probably won't ever cycle back around to being free again, so me as a non-preorderer and avoider of the pro edition for the whole and complete launch am missing out on the only free game I care about, Gylt.

My point is, I dislike that if I were to get a pro edition, just so I could temporarily subscribe for the game I want that I would essentially only be able to play the game while I am subscribed. To me it's fishy, and a big reason I hate PS plus, that you tell me I can claim free games but secretly not so secret they are not free at all. I understand I can only claim them while I am subscribed, just like on XBL, but when you quit subscribing to Xbox Live you get to keep the games and play them whenever you want. No price trick forces you to keep up a subscription to play the game thus forcing you to add value to the community of gamers of the service, exactly in the way that battle passes keep up player counts for their games.

I just thought Stadia sounded so cool and great at first, but now I realize Google is just jumping in on an avenue for new money that they don't actually understand, nor do they care about the consumers here. I to say the least am disappointed.

I would certainly engage with Stadia if they dropped the oh you have to stay subscribed vampire mentality. Otherwise, I'm out forever.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

@Pikalicious : So what subscription model do you prefer?

If you don't like the subscription model currently available, and don't care about 4K or 5.1 sound, then just wait until the base edition is available, sign-up and then purchase Gylt.  No monthly costs or anything, just pick and choose the games that you want to play and purchase.

If however, you want 4K and/or 5.1 audio then you'll have to buy the subscription and get to take advantage of the offers available.

Also, nowhere has it been stated that a game that was previously on the Pro list and removed wont return to the pro list at a later point in time.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.

View solution in original post

4 Kudos
18 Replies
Community Member

@Pikalicious : So what subscription model do you prefer?

If you don't like the subscription model currently available, and don't care about 4K or 5.1 sound, then just wait until the base edition is available, sign-up and then purchase Gylt.  No monthly costs or anything, just pick and choose the games that you want to play and purchase.

If however, you want 4K and/or 5.1 audio then you'll have to buy the subscription and get to take advantage of the offers available.

Also, nowhere has it been stated that a game that was previously on the Pro list and removed wont return to the pro list at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

4 Kudos
Community Member

FYI: 8 Pro Games have been made available since launch:

1. November 2019
    1. Destiny 2
    2. Samurai Shodown
  2. December 2019
    1. Farming Simulator 19 PE
    2. Tomb Raider DE
  3. January 2020
    1. Rise of the Tomb Raider
    2. Thumper
  4. February 2020
    1. Metro
    2. Gylt
1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

@Pikalicious it sounds a bit like you are saying “hey Google, I only want to pay £9 once but have access to Gylt forever” - doesn’t sound like a very realistic request.

Google is a business and businesses are ultimately here to make money. I personally feel like google are providing a good value product in Stadia Pro for that money...but like @Mad_Dog_Bravo says, you could just take the free model when it starts and just buy the games you want....then you can play them whenever!

1 Kudo
Community Member

I'm trying to make my responses to posts like this more positive, so here goes.

Obviously, you're making a judgement on something you haven't even tried. So here's my suggestion. Wait until it's fully released, then try the free model, for which you'll probably have to buy a game or two since the "free" games come with the pro model. Or maybe by then Google will offer a new game or two in the free model so new members can try it out before they buy into the subscription. So wait until then, and try it out for free.

In the meantime, try some of the other services too if you are able to... Gforce now, Xcloud, whatever you can. THEN, AFTER YOU'VE ACTUALLY TRIED THE SERVICES, your comments and ideas will be more informed and more appreciated because people will know you're speaking from your experience and not just what you think something is like. 

But that's the only advice I can give. Try Stadia and even some other services before you give opinions on what you think is an "ugly" model. Because a lot of us who are using the service right now disagree with you and can't accept your thoughts, because you're basically telling us we're wrong in the way we're thinking,when you've never even tried it. 

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

I agree with @Xevioso. If you don't like the subscription model then don't buy into it. They offer free games for subscribers as an incentive, with even more being added monthly as another incentive to stay subscribed. Like you stated Xbox and PlayStation have a similar model, because it works.

Love does not despair. Love gives us hope that change is possible
0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

Stadia's only bad point is the controller they give away with the cereal box.

It has damaged my experience with Stadia by 80%. Power without control is useless.

They have killed my illusion, I only hope that karma punishes the person responsible for the low investment in the manufacture of the controller.

I would not expect 4k soon in GeForce, RTX Titan 12000 USD would not make sense to exist.

When XBox, PS5 and other 4k streams arrive, Google will launch 8k and look at them in the rearview mirror again.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

@Pikalicious clearly you didn't understand the service and the subscription model. Gylt is still available to claim btw.

@Whito Can you elaborate what's wrong with the controller ? I like it personally.

0 Kudos
Community Member

On the controller thing mentioned mine the sticks are not smooth anymore they rigid and noisy, the triggers are too touch sensitive at times too meaning you will lightly touch left trigger by accident and go into ads mode when not meaning too.

Love the design and shape etc but sticks could be less rigid after a week or two of use and triggers could do with a slight deadzone.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Nilse I actually like the Stadia controller more than my Dualshock 4 tbh and it feels solid AF. I'm a fan of that controller and have used it a TON since launch.

0 Kudos
Community Member

So, you are unhappy with the model because it doesn't let you pay less than what the game actually is priced at?

You make it seem like this is just a decision to make money, but you understand servers and streaming hardware aren't free right? And that developers actually want to make their money back as well? You expect to pay 1 time, and that should suffice the Google servers forever and also get Tequila Works their money?

You compare it to PS+ and XBL Gold, but do you realize these are fundamentally different services? Where PS+ and XBL give you free games, once you have claimed them the only support they have to give you is maybe the occasional re-download (as with both services you can't access multiplayer features with the free tier). With Stadia, you are playing the game on hardware that isn't in your control, which you didn't have to pay for. Where Microsoft only has to deal with a download, Google actually has to give you hardware access even after your free period. Surely you can think about how your 1 month of Stadia Pro doesn't cover your unlimited access to these resources right?

If you don't want to pay, that's fine. But don't make it seem like Google is pushing you away with their pricing, while in fact you are just looking for a way to exploit the system and pay as little as possible for a game. If you don't want a subscription, wait for Stadia Base (or if you already have Stadia don't resubscribe to Pro) and purchase Gylt. This way you don't have to get a subscription, but the developer gets the money they deserve (and you are unwilling to give them at this time)

2 Kudos
Community Member

I wouldn't expect the business model to change any time soon.

If you want to play on Stadia then the option for you is going to be Stadia Base.

Other than that it sounds like your preference already exists on Xbox and you'll expand on that by using xCloud.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Pikalicious 

"but when you quit subscribing to Xbox Live you get to keep the games and play them whenever you want"

This is inaccurate. I mean it was true for Xbox 360 games but not for Xbox One titles which considering what gen this is, one is more important than the other. The important ones being the ones that are locked to you remaining subscribed. If I unsub from Xbox Live Gold, I lose the 66 games that I redeemed for "free" on my account. They have them in their own section in the Games & Apps area for a reason.

The thing with the free games on Xbox and PlayStation is though, most people don't even bother with them. They just have the subscription to play online. Go look at random profiles, at most on average I usually see a person with two of the free games on their account despite having the service for years.

1 Kudo
Community Member

"This is inaccurate. I mean it was true for Xbox 360 games but not for Xbox One titles

I unsub from Xbox Live Gold, I lose the 66 games that I redeemed for "free" on my account. They have them in their own section in the Games & Apps area for a reason."

You're not just inaccurate, you're misinformed, wrong, and obviously don't use Xbox Live. I can literally play my free games right now and I am not subscribed. It is hilarious you think you know better than me and that you go out of your way to defend a huge corporation and you don't even get paid for it. This is literally the most hilarious and stupid thing I have seen in a while.To debate me over simply confirmable facts. You think I am wrong, but I know you are wrong.  Enough said.  I doubt stadia will survive a year fan boy. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

To clear up and side with facts you can play any free Xbox games claimed without Xbox live, ps different don't pay ps plus lose access to the games.

0 Kudos
Community Member

And @Pikalicious  if happy playing offline Xbox games go for it, you want more you pay an ugly sub and you want to play those games online pay an ugly sub or want to do anything nowadays pay an ugly sub, get with the times.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Pikalicious 

Get off this site, you're a clown kid.

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/subscriptions-billing/manage-subscriptions/xbox-games-with-gold-f...

On Xbox One, you'll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription.

It's right there on their official site. Went ahead and bold, italicized and underlined it so you don't miss it.

I defend a corporation for free? So are you telling us that MS paid you to come on these forums to poorly shill for them? Hope you get fired especially since you came after one of their biggest customers. You have any idea how many Xbox consoles I have sitting at my house? The amount of games I have purchased for both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One? The fact I've been subscribed to Xbox Live Gold since the original console? Delete this thread, you played yourself.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@ARGAH 

What facts? You mean his blatant lies? It's right on their official website (which this site won't allow me to link without deleting my post) "Active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve redeemed."

Takes two seconds to Google "can I play games with gold without xbox gold" and you'll get dozens of official Xbox site links saying you can't or that you'll lose access or some other similar wordage.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Well, I cancelled my pro subscription a week or so ago.

Whilst I am convinced by the tech, I am not convinced with the service on offer.  I made a decision a while back that if - by the time my 3 months were up - nothing had been introduced to improve the service from my perspective - I would cancel.

At the moment, my experience with Stadia has remained near-enough the same as day one.  I had hoped by the time my trial was up I would have access to the games via Chrome at better than 1080p resolution, or the ability to stream on my iOS devices.  With neither of those being available yet, and with iOS seemingly quite a while away I would guess, I cannot justify the subscription.  

I know Stadia is going to be perfect for some people, even in its current form - but it isnt for me at the moment.  The door is open though and I am sure I will renew it depending on improvements to the service or games on pro that I am actually interested in.

0 Kudos