Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pikalicious
Community Member

ugly Subscription Model

Jump to solution

Is there any chance the business model might change?

I like the idea of Stadia but my primary concern is the Battle-Pass-esque, stay-subscribed-and-stick-around subscription model being used on consumers.

This far, there have already been something like 14 games made free right, like 2 per month? And I know they (games) probably won't ever cycle back around to being free again, so me as a non-preorderer and avoider of the pro edition for the whole and complete launch am missing out on the only free game I care about, Gylt.

My point is, I dislike that if I were to get a pro edition, just so I could temporarily subscribe for the game I want that I would essentially only be able to play the game while I am subscribed. To me it's fishy, and a big reason I hate PS plus, that you tell me I can claim free games but secretly not so secret they are not free at all. I understand I can only claim them while I am subscribed, just like on XBL, but when you quit subscribing to Xbox Live you get to keep the games and play them whenever you want. No price trick forces you to keep up a subscription to play the game thus forcing you to add value to the community of gamers of the service, exactly in the way that battle passes keep up player counts for their games.

I just thought Stadia sounded so cool and great at first, but now I realize Google is just jumping in on an avenue for new money that they don't actually understand, nor do they care about the consumers here. I to say the least am disappointed.

I would certainly engage with Stadia if they dropped the oh you have to stay subscribed vampire mentality. Otherwise, I'm out forever.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Razza
Community Member

Re: ugly Subscription Model

Jump to solution

I wouldn't expect the business model to change any time soon.

If you want to play on Stadia then the option for you is going to be Stadia Base.

Other than that it sounds like your preference already exists on Xbox and you'll expand on that by using xCloud.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Razza
Community Member

Jump to solution

@Nilse I actually like the Stadia controller more than my Dualshock 4 tbh and it feels solid AF. I'm a fan of that controller and have used it a TON since launch.

0 Kudos
mcnichoj
Community Member

Jump to solution

@Pikalicious 

"but when you quit subscribing to Xbox Live you get to keep the games and play them whenever you want"

This is inaccurate. I mean it was true for Xbox 360 games but not for Xbox One titles which considering what gen this is, one is more important than the other. The important ones being the ones that are locked to you remaining subscribed. If I unsub from Xbox Live Gold, I lose the 66 games that I redeemed for "free" on my account. They have them in their own section in the Games & Apps area for a reason.

The thing with the free games on Xbox and PlayStation is though, most people don't even bother with them. They just have the subscription to play online. Go look at random profiles, at most on average I usually see a person with two of the free games on their account despite having the service for years.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Pikalicious
Community Member

Jump to solution

"This is inaccurate. I mean it was true for Xbox 360 games but not for Xbox One titles

I unsub from Xbox Live Gold, I lose the 66 games that I redeemed for "free" on my account. They have them in their own section in the Games & Apps area for a reason."

You're not just inaccurate, you're misinformed, wrong, and obviously don't use Xbox Live. I can literally play my free games right now and I am not subscribed. It is hilarious you think you know better than me and that you go out of your way to defend a huge corporation and you don't even get paid for it. This is literally the most hilarious and stupid thing I have seen in a while.To debate me over simply confirmable facts. You think I am wrong, but I know you are wrong.  Enough said.  I doubt stadia will survive a year fan boy. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ARGAH
Community Member

Jump to solution

To clear up and side with facts you can play any free Xbox games claimed without Xbox live, ps different don't pay ps plus lose access to the games.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ARGAH
Community Member

Jump to solution

And @Pikalicious  if happy playing offline Xbox games go for it, you want more you pay an ugly sub and you want to play those games online pay an ugly sub or want to do anything nowadays pay an ugly sub, get with the times.

0 Kudos