cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

is it worth buying any games?

This month saw the release of another tomb raider game for pro members as I can see alot of people have purchased this game previously and now it is available for free. Which leads me to the question is it worth buying any games from the store if they will be made free to pro members at some point any way??
1 Kudo
28 Replies
Community Member

More than that. If games library will stay the same for a while, we will get all games for free along the year. Fingers crossed 😃

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Mh depends on the game I would say. My personal guess is that games, which are not that popular or new will be released for Stadia Pro as free to claim. E.g. I would guess that BL3, Darksiders Genesis, etc. will not come that soon for free (if ever). As we don't know which games are coming next it's hard to say if you should buy a game or not. Personally I am waiting a bit longer and then invest money into a game. Still waiting for example for a deal on Darksiders Genesis and then I would spend some money I guess, but for the rest... waiting is not bad. 😄
1 Kudo
Community Member

Depends if you are gonna keep the pro subscription forever. If yes you probably do not need to buy any game ( as long as you do not want any new game).

If no then you will need to buy games, if you still want to play stadia ( bought games still can be played on basic account, claimed games are not)

Stadia name Nightcrow#9757 🙂
1 Kudo
Community Member

@lawsons it merely depends on you and your "play style".

Few considerations are:

• New released games probably will never be part of the PRO free games, so if you want to play to a new released games, you'd be better to buy it.
  • Online Games (or games that are based on online multiplayer): I suggest you to analyze how many players in Stadia are playing to that game (until they achieve cross-play), I'm playing to AOT 2 that has 5-6 players in the online leaderboard this results in a online gameplay almost impossible...
  • Price of the game: some game with stadia pro discounts are quite convenient, they worth the risk.
  • Supporting Stadia: If you find something that worth the buy, well just do it if you wanna support this project, the more money they do the more they will invest in Stadia 🙂

Kudos appreciated 🙂

1 Kudo
Community Member

@lawsons :

Each to their own, I think is about what sums it up.  There is no right or wrong choice IMHO, just whatever you want to do.

Sure it is possible that all games will eventually make their way into the Pro list but over how many years is anyone's guess.  You could guess that perhaps BL3 will possibly make it into the list just as BL4 is released, similar to FS19 which was added at about the same time that FS20 was made available for other platforms.

But, there are obviously a bunch of factors that need to be decided upon before a game makes its way into the Pro list and since we don't have a clue what those factors are beyond wild guessing you can't make any predictions as to what will or won't be added.

So, it is worth buying games, well with the Pro deals it certainly can make some of the titles considerably more attractive to buy, but then if you've got money in your pocket that you want to burn, and want to play the latest additions to Stadia immediately then I guess it is worth buying the titles too.

It all comes back to my original comment, "Each to their own.", IMHO.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Holding back buying a game because it may become free is silly. ANY game may become free at some point. Buying it means you don't have to wait a year for it to become free.

Love does not despair. Love gives us hope that change is possible
0 Kudos
Community Member

It makes sense to generate a list of must-haves, then decide if the current price suits, or if you will await a possible pro deal. If you have any possible purchases in mind which are older or cheaper games, then these are more likely to go free. It's also worth noting that you could conceivably have more than enough to play if you just focus on the included pro titles each month, and buy the odd game when they go on offer.
Gordy
0 Kudos
Community Member

For me, my approach is quite simply.

1. Do the kids deserve a new game? Y/N

2. Is age rating suitable? Y/N

3. Will it give us some peace and quiet? Y/N

4. Is it reasonably priced? Y/N

If the answer to all 4 questions is Yes, then it probably is a good deal and the kids can have a gift, else I don't see myself buying many titles just for my own pleasure just yet, seems more of the money spent is for the kids rather than myself.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I think what they should do is release the list of games they are planning on giving to pro members over the next 12months then you wont feel ripped off paying full price for a game you will receive as part of your membership it would also help to decide if you want to continue your membership fees as not everyone has unlimited funds 

0 Kudos
Community Member

@lawsons that's a crazy idea. If they told their users which games are going to become claimable in the next 12 months, a large portion of subscribing users would just wait and not buy games. That means developers won't make any money and will abandon the platform. 

If you like a game buy it. It's that simple. When you claim it, if you end your pro subscription or in the worst case, if Stadia fails, you will lose the game. If you buy it you own it. You can still play under the free membership and Google claimed that in the worst case scenario, that if the platform fails they would "make users whole" which probably doesn't mean refunds. It probably means they would work with developers to give users digital codes to the games they bought so they can go redeem the games on some other platform (most likely PC). So it's simple, if you want to own a game then buy it. If you only want to be able to play it as long as you're a paying Stadia subscriber, then you can sit around and wait hoping they make the game available to claim.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Xevioso let me put it to you another way. you buy a bunch of bananas but the next day you walk past the same shop and they are now free? do you work for Google by any chance 🤔
0 Kudos
Community Member

@lawsons  let me use an actual sensible comparison. You go the the dealer and they have a car you want. If you buy it, it's yours. You can drive, it crash it, sell it, whatever. But forever more it's yours. Or, the dealer tells you that some time in the future, they don't know when, you might be able to lease it, and it's only yours as long as you're making your payments and if you decide not to make the payments you have to return it, there's a clause in the lease that if the company goes bankrupt they can recall all their assets including the car that you don't own. So it's up to you, do you want to own the car or lease it under those circumstances?

As to your other question, no. I wish I did work for Google, I actually work in healthcare. Maybe you can put in a good word for me since you apparently think I'm a great Google representative, lol.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Xevioso your comparison completely misses the point I am making - is it fair people unknowingly pay for a title to then be given it free. I dont care about people playing stadia for free as this is not an option so anyone with stadia has a paid subscription which is not free just included in the price they paid for there chosen package. On a pay to play platform with purchasable content the purchasable content should not be given for free after the same pro members have just paid full price for the product It creates huge volumes of refunds for those who purchased. I think your doing pretty well at a shot for google employment with your high regards for there current state of stadia.
0 Kudos
Community Member

@lawsons 

Solution: Only buy games the 1 every month

If the game becomes pro free game ( you already played for a month and can play it without pro subscription)

If not the game becomes a pro free game, you still can play it

Stadia name Nightcrow#9757 🙂
2 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

I posted something similar in a Facebook group. But consider this. 
there are roughly 26 games out right now.
Almost all of them will get a deep discount or sale at some point. 

Any game older than 2018 or  is budget game has a higher likelihood of going free for Pro members. 

so any game you buy you get to keep playing on Stadia base when it launches without subscription. 

if you are planning on keeping pro just make sure you are ok with paying for the game if it goes free or on sale.

Google and the developers definitely would prefer you  to buy the games instead of waiting  for it come to pro. Buying supports the developers and shows them that there is money to be made on Stadia. 

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

@Umcharliex your post depresses me. It's like you consider Stadia's library will not grow. You consider Stadia already dead. A more optimistic point of view is that some unannounced games will be released and will be claimable. Some games currently available will never be Pro. And some may never have a discount either.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Nilas it feels like a lot of people are taking the short term view. Like you I hope (expect) that as the library grows, there will be new games that will be made available to us to claim. I do think there's a long way to go and some developer buy in that hasn't fully happened yet. And most likely most of those games in the future will be home home grown exclusives and indie games, and hopefully occasionally some big name game. But yeah... I think it's possible if this platform grows the way it has the potential to grow. People have to think long term. If the users have no faith in the platform, the developers won't either, and Google won't spend the money necessary to make sure it succeeds.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

@Xevioso I want it to succeed and that's why you'll find me quite angry in many post about the communication, absence of gaming announcements and new releases, and missing roadmap. I am very worried because a bad launch and careless follow up means the platform will struggle to be considered serious by developers, which means less games available, less players, and very slow growth. When the PS5 and Xbox4 are waiting in the corner, if Stadia wants to be a major actor in the industry, they better come with the big guns in the very few coming weeks. Otherwise, Stadia will still exist, but it will be under the radar for the next 5 years at least, until the ps5 and xbox gets old. By then they'll have perfected their own cloud so even Stadia might be behind if Google didn't even care. I'll lose faith if they do nothing by mid february. People will just preorder a hardware console. Once they do they're not turning back for at least 2 years. And Google will be way behind in 2 years if it continues this way. There is no place for a 4th actor in this industry, there never was. I am convinced that if Stadia wants a long term future, they have to convince now, not next year.
1 Kudo
Community Member

@Nilas Totally agree. I want to see better support from Google and better cooperation from the developers. Those are the minimum things necessary to show they're serious and that they can compete. But so far it's lacking on both sides. Gonna have to step it up especially when the monthly subscription fees actually start

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Xevioso your comparison completely misses the point I am making - is it fair people unknowingly pay for a title to then be given it free. I dont care about people playing stadia for free as this is not an option so anyone with stadia has a paid subscription which is not free just included in the price they paid for there chosen package. On a pay to play platform with purchasable content the purchasable content should not be given for free after the same pro members have just paid full price for the product It creates huge volumes of refunds for those who purchased. I think your doing pretty well at a shot for google employment with your high regards for there current state of stadia.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Dude your literally making excuses and complaining over nothing. It's simple... You pay for the game and you own it. You might not want to ever cancel your subscription but someone else might want to. So it's up to you what you think is right for you. Whether it's fair or not is a silly question. Lots of gaming platforms have some kind of giveaway, usually monthly. And you don't find out until probably a couple of days in advance what game or games it's going to be. So this can happen in any platform. It's not a valid complaint. It's the industry standard. The difference is, Stadia right now has a small library, so it might happen more often until the library grows. If that's your concern don't buy games until they have a larger library. But even when they have a larger library, that doesn't mean it still won't happen. If you want to own the game buy it. If you're afraid of buying it and then it might possibly be free at some unknown time, then don't buy it. It's literally that simple.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

Well we have 2 pro games per month when we actually expected only one in the beginning. It's better to be able to pick up both games and sometimes one of them is already bought, rather than Google let us choose 1 of them between both. You would still have people complain because they bought both anyways.

Oh yeah this month, Sony gives Uncharted when you subscribe to the PSN. For sure no one on playstation has those games...

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Xevioso it's hardly a complaint over nothing if you dont understand the complaint I suggest you dont comment on the thread. it was a simple question is it worth buying a game when it will become free any way? clearly your not out of pocket by the price of a game and a months subscription. it is my right to complain about what the hell I want how ever small or insignificant it is to you the forums are ways for members to voice THEIR opinions on decisions made by the cooperation. have you commented on every post complaining about having 2 tomb raider games as part of pro so far? or every post complaining about games of there choice not being included. I suggest you wind your neck in and move along 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Lol at someone who says a forum is somewhere to share your opinion and then tells you not to comment because he doesn't like your opinion! If you weren't so dense you would know that I'M ONE OF THE FIRST PEOPLE WHO COMPLAINED about the double Tomb Raider! Go check the threads knucklehead. 

As you said, this is a place for opinions. In my opinion, your complaint isn't valid. It's the same structure in every platform that gives away free games. You might actually possibly buy a game that eventually they give away free. So is it worth it? That's up to the person who is buying the game. For me it's worth it, for you apparently you'd rather sit around hoping you can get it free or hoping they'll tell you a year in advance so you know if you wait six months you'll get it free. That's just dumb and it's not how it works on any platform.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

I bought many games on sale and I have no regrets. The discount offers are pretty great. Also the games may never be free. I am guessing in the future that the games to be claimed will be old ports of great games newly released to Stadia. For example, a game like PUBG could be released on Stadia in the future and included in the free Pro games immediately.
1 Kudo
Community Member

@Nilas I think we'll probably see some nice, new indie games too once developers get used to the platform. And probably some of the in-house games that Google creates now that they've acquired a development group might be claimable now and then. I've bought some discounted games too, and like you I have no complaints.

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

I guess it depends on how much you want a particular game. 

Personally I have purchased the games I want on Stadia so far. If they drop on to the Pro Games in a future month I will have no issues with it. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

If I were you I wouldn't ask myself too much about this free future of a game. (which you would pay per month anyway)

Let's make a specific case:

I want Red Dead Redemption 2 ... should I buy it?

Almost certainly yes. This is because you could take advantage of Pro discounts and because you would have immediately.

It is one of those games that will hardly go free for the Pros.
You buy it ... you play for 2 or 3 months then maybe it comes for free ... what's the problem? The game has been yours for a while .. you wanted it and you bought it. you will also enjoy another monthly free game. Why should you complain about it? this is a speech that could be done with everything ... buy a smartphone and after two months you will find it at less than half the price .. buy a pc and then after a while it becomes old ...

in my opinion the solution is very simple ... is there a game you like and would you like to play IMMEDIATELY at all costs? are you willing to spend that amount in case it will never be free? Yes? then you buy it ... all the other games that interest you least can wait.

Just create your own personal list by putting 2 or 3 titles you absolutely want without thinking too much about the free. and then buy it with the limits of 1 every month as someone else has written and only if you intend to play it immediately as soon as purchased. For sure on stadia you will not make the wild purchase that you can do on Steam.

I immediately took Ghost Recon when it came out because I wasn't expecting anything else ... I'll do the same with Baldurs Gate 3!

Tomb Raider (the third chapter) instead I would like to have it but not so much as to want it at all costs, so I will wait. I'm undecided for Cyberpunk when it comes out because I might like it but I don't have time to play it so it can wait as soon as I have nothing else to play.

To return to RDR2, the same goes for me ... I would love to play with it since I have been waiting for it for a long time .. but for now I am not willing to spend that money because I currently have too many games to finish so it can easily wait.

0 Kudos