cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

iOS Support

Jump to solution

@GraceFromGoogle @ChrisFromGoogle any chance we can get an update on the latest for getting iOS support for Stadia? From what I read it sounds unlikely we will be getting the ability to play Stadia on our iOS devices any time soon, but it would be great to hear what the status is and what the plan is!

Personally I’ve enjoyed every minute of Stadia so far...but really hoping I’ll also be able to enjoy mobile gaming too since all my devices are Apple!!

2 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

Hi @Tobonaut I appreciate you taking the time to reply but I guess that’s why I tagged Chris and Grace because we want some news!!!

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
12 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @Matt1 

unfortunately, there is no public roadmap related to a rollout Stadia to new devices and operating systems. You might want to follow the Stadia team on Twitter to stay up to date. (https://twitter.com/googlestadia).

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.
3 Kudos
Community Member

Hi @Tobonaut I appreciate you taking the time to reply but I guess that’s why I tagged Chris and Grace because we want some news!!!

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Matt1 That's not really how this works. Google will make a public announcement about coming features when they're ready, and not a moment before. Their employees aren't able to make such statements on their own.

4 Kudos
Community Member

If you think about it logically, I don't think Apple will want Stadia or even xCloud on their devices as it conflicts with their own interest on Apple Arcade. You guys are literally asking Apple to compete with their own paid subscription services on their iOS devices.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I don't think you can play AAA games on apple arcade, at least not yet, and apple arcade isn't competing with any of the cloud gaming services, I believe they're more suited to Google play pass. And ultimately I don't think it's about what apple wants, it's about what the consumers want competition or not

1 Kudo
Community Member

If there will be games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Doom at 4K 60fps on Apple Arcade, I will consider to make a subscription instead of xCloud.

Meanwhile...

I also don't think it's legal from Apple to interfere with the development of an iOS version of Google and/or MS cloud services.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@xCloudisGOOD I agree that it doesn’t really benefit Apple to allow it. Then again, since Android devices do allow it then perhaps it increases the pressure as in time people may switch device for this sort of thing.... anyway it’d be nice to get an actual Google update at some point - the radio silence on this is frustrating to say the least.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Since the Stadia controller can link directly to WiFi and doesn't need to go through the iOS app, and Google could just stream the video to any device.   Hopefully, the plan is to stream live gameplay to YouTube, and once iOS 14 is released with native support for Googles VP9 codec, the latency should be comparable to what we see on the Chromecast Ultra today.  Even though everyone keeps talking about how Apple doesn't allow streaming a game service, the Steam Link app does exactly that and it's even on Apple TV.

I hope that Google isn't trying to use Stadia to boost the Android ecosystem.  The lack of ability to play Stadia games on iPhones and even more so on iPads is the main reason I can't get most of my friends to even try Stadia.  If I could simply take my Stadia controller and show them on an iPhone or iPad (about 2/3 of my friends and family use iOS and not Android), I know of at least 5 people that would buy a Stadia controller right away and grow the ecosystem.

If it's not on the roadmap, then it means your roadmap is radically off-course.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Well Apple has come back with a shady movement: they have just confirmed that cloud gaming services violate App Store guidelines which is preposterous taking into account other services (i.e. Netflix / Amazon Prime) - it looks like they want either their cut for any purchase (aka 30%) or just maintain discriminatory advantages to Apple Arcade.

If only they allow using a proper web browser that let Chrome works, instead of having to use Safari’s WebKit, it could be sorted out.... It looks awful I reckon

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21357771/apple-cloud-gaming-microsoft-xcloud-google-stadia-ios-app...

0 Kudos
Community Member

Just...wow. I feel sorry for fellow gamers that are in the iron fist of Apple devices, yet another reason I would personally never allow one of their devices in my home. Policies like these continue to be about as anti-consumer as you can get, I'm amazed people continue to stick with them after all these years. Good luck...

0 Kudos
Community Member

Snap! I’m a supporter from the start but this iOS issue is becoming a deal breaker for me

0 Kudos
Community Member

Until Apple is not being a bully anymore here is a simple hack that you could use to get it running on your iPhone or iPad: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/it5mwn/stadia_for_ios_poc/

0 Kudos