cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why is DOOM 2016 lost in "time and space"?

Seriously, where is this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZrj-0TsyaM&t=52s

I had to pull out my old dust collector called xbox one S to play this game atm, although i thought i would never have to do this again, to exercise my skills before the new doom arrives. Seems like this game was ready for this platform one year before stadia officially launched, so where is it? I don't understand this one bit, especially after the announcement from ID/Bethesda that they do need more time for Eternal. This would have add at least a little bit of compensation for this loss. And it doesn't matter for me if its 4k, upscaled or whatever but seriously, where is this game?

3 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

It's coming after Eternal unless a big surprise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@ChronosP my guess is that since Doom Eternal is already behind schedule, they're dedicating all their resources to finishing that have and getting it released. They can always go back and work on the old game later, but it's the new game that's going to bring in the money, so they're going to focus on that. 

It probably wouldn't be too hard to port the old game to Stadia, but they still need people to spend time doing that. Even after they set up the port they'll need to test it for bugs and troubleshoot to make sure it's working right, otherwise they'll wind up with a bunch of complaints about how bad it's working and how buggy it is. So from their point of view it's better to focus all their efforts on Eternal, get that released, and then go back and work on porting the older game. 

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

@Xevioso 

I know that it takes time to port games over to stadia and sorting things out to make it a good experience. But they let people play an already existing or at least a "small portion" of that game back in 2019 on stadia. (video)

I will be patient until doom arrives back in this month (Day one buy for me) and look at which games are hitting pro in april, but i will not let this slight threw so easily. This game was promised for stadia and also showed to the public at GDC with possible interaction for some folk, so this should not be ignored, we are still starving here for games, unfortunately.

And i knew its a new platform but the gaming market is very hard, especially for new platforms and i think google knows this now and feel the pressure from their competitors, so they should push for every straw they get. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Agreed- a lot of Stadia founders were people that did not have a chance to partake fully in latest gen consoles, so it's sort of a bummer to not get the opportunity to finallly play things like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein, etc. before diving into the sequels. I signed up for my founders edition thinking I could play Doom 2016 and then get Eternal on day 1 without having a $400+ console... I think I have to keep waiting for 2016 before I spring for Eternal now... This said, I really believe in what Stadia is capable of and wish more of the doubters would give it another shot- super impressive overall!

0 Kudos
Community Member

@CosmicBear 

The thing what especially triggers me on doom 2016 not avaible on stadia, is the fact that there was certain playable levels from it on GDC back in 2019. And this twitter post here:

http://twitter.com/googlestadia/status/1193952927963987969

But i will be patient and also busy with eternal for a while now. 😊

1 Kudo