Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why is 4g blocked?

Jump to solution

Hello everyone, 

I use 4g with stadia via 4g wifi hotspot. It works great with wifi hotspot, infact it works better than my home 2.4ghz wifi and 5ghz wifi, due to less interference and more stable connection. But why is using 4g directly blocked or not allowed? Is it due to health concerns? Or is it perhaps to prevent accidental data loss? And is there a way to bypass the 4g block on stadia so that I can use it directly without rerouting my device through an unnecessary secondary 4g wifi hotspot emmitter.

Thanks

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@SilverOwly Google hasn't really provided us with any official answer, but a few of my guesses:

1. A lot of people don't have unlimited / strict mobile plan. This way, they don't have to deal with angry Stadia users that suddenly gets charged hundred of dollars in phone bill
  2. Google doesn't want to annoy carriers. A lot of carriers provide unlimited data plan, expecting not everyone will take advantage of it. If more Stadia users are actually using their unlimited plan to the max, that means more bandwidth overall used, and it hurts the carrier's bottom line. 

In any case, I know this is one of the most highly requested feature, so make sure to submit your feedback through the Stadia app so Google can be notified. The more people expressing their interest, the better chance it can become a reality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified

View solution in original post

4 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@SilverOwly Google hasn't really provided us with any official answer, but a few of my guesses:

1. A lot of people don't have unlimited / strict mobile plan. This way, they don't have to deal with angry Stadia users that suddenly gets charged hundred of dollars in phone bill
  2. Google doesn't want to annoy carriers. A lot of carriers provide unlimited data plan, expecting not everyone will take advantage of it. If more Stadia users are actually using their unlimited plan to the max, that means more bandwidth overall used, and it hurts the carrier's bottom line. 

In any case, I know this is one of the most highly requested feature, so make sure to submit your feedback through the Stadia app so Google can be notified. The more people expressing their interest, the better chance it can become a reality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified

View solution in original post

4 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

It would be nice if they did have an override. I only have 4g Internet. It is both unlimited in speed and data. I'm playing Stadia on my laptop using my phone as a hotspot and some games work fine. I'm near a few 5g areas and have a compatible phone so I could even have a better connection when I'm using my phone away from home. I do get it that I'm in the minority though.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Yeah I bought Stadia back in February thinking I'd be able to use my superior 4G connection and was saddened to learn it was blocked. That's limited my play to the local library (which had been closed btw due to covid19) resulting in only about 8-10 hours of the $130 + $60 for Red Dead Redemption 2 I've invested. Feels bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

It would be a nice feature but just a word of caution to the overly-optimistic. Stadia would probably play like garbage on a mobile data connection. This is probably part of Google's calculus as well. The reason is the latency. Towers are far away. Communication is limited by physics. Current esimates for 4g latency put it anywhere from 100-600ms on average. Which is...really bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Maybe 4G isn't stable enough...

0 Kudos